+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bought a house, looking for some answers to my questions

Default bought a house, looking for some answers to my questions

Just moved into a new house that has a "Intex Ultra Frame 16-Foot-by-48-Inch Round Pool Set" in the back yard.

Since we got to the house this past friday, the previous owner said the pool was ready to swim in. Couple of questions, the pump for the pool has been running 24/7 since friday, is that a little overkill? I've been doing some reading, and the pump only needs to run 4-6hrs a day depending on the state of the pool? is that accurate?

The Salt water looks very clear, except for some dirt that's accumulated at the bottom of the pool that i'm going to vac up in the next afternoon or so.

Any tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated, the last pool I had was over 20yrs ago, and it was an underground pool.

cheers

Gav

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: bought a house, looking for some answers to my questions

No, it's not over kill

If you have an IG pool pump and DE filter, with both properly sized and connected to a well designed circulation system, you can run your system 4 hours, though I never recommend it -- to much chance of algae growth during the stagnant period.

But, Intex pool pumps are undersized; the filters are WAY undersized, and they are connected to a marginal circulation system. HOWEVER, if you maintain the water and keep the pump on 24/7, you can keep the pool looking good. CarlD, here, did that for a year or two with excellent results, before he got his current monster above ground.

However when anything goes wrong -- algae, well water, 3 days of neglect -- and the pool gets all cloudy, you can forget about cleaning it up in a few days. If you can straighten things our in a week, you are doing very, very well indeed.

So, run your pump 24/7 and avoid problems

Best wishes.

Ben
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-06-2011 at 02:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread