+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

My sister gave me (yes gave) her 17x31 foot Tuff Pool, we have it set up and have been in it almost daily since Memorial Day. I have owned pools in the past (Walmart pools, etc.) but nothing compares when you get a nice pool with a nice pump and filter. The only question I have (right now) is she paid extra$ for the filter to be able to run with salt, so I wonder is it easier, cheaper, etc to do that? Right now it has sand. I have read A LOT of information on here so far that has been real helpful, and I thank you all. I will have to post pictures of our pool soon, we have added a deck to the short side and a patio, which makes it extra nice.

Susan

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Newbie

SWCG -- salt water chlorine generators -- don't really save money, compared to a consistently chlorinated pool. They don't save ANY money at all, compared to a BBB Method pool.

But . . . if you find it a pain to stay on top of chlorination using hand methods, an SWCG offers a very convenient and effective method of chlorinating automatically, at the price of increased corrosion. There is some indication that this can be more of a problem on AG pools with steel components.

Ben

thanks, I have not had any problems keeping my water clear so far

The real expense of Salt Water Chlorine Generators is the cost of the unit itself. The Salt is relatively cheap and you do have to add Muriatic acid. But if you already have the unit, and it was free to you, you're golden. There is a Frequently Asked Question Sticky in the Salt Water section of this forum that explains in detail how Salt systems work. If you are serious about starting your SWCG up, post back with the make and model of your unit and how much water is in your pool, and we'll get you going.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

+ Reply to Thread