+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green water shooting into pool

Default Green water shooting into pool

I have a DE filter and just got my pool water looking clear, but the past few days when I start my filter in the morning
    green water shoots out from all the jets for about a minute, but then turns clear . I have been taking the filter apart to clean it every 2 days during my initial clean up, because backwashing seems to waste too much water and chemicals for as frequently as I have to do it. After I hose down and clean the filter I reassemble and then turn the backwash on for a minute or two to flush anything that may be remaining in the lines. I seem to think my problem started when I did some heavy hand vacuuming ( after which I cleaned the filter throughly).

I've searched the forum but can't really find an answer to this problem of the jets initially shooting out green water- could it be a valve problem somewhere or another problem?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-06-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: fix title

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Green water shooting into pool

Sounds like you may have had algae, and have some remaining in your filter. DE filters do not handle live (green) algae well.

What are your pool water readings (chlorine, pH, CYA or stabilizer)?

Have you had algae recently?

Ben

Thanks Ben. Yes, I have had algae but now it's under control, but when I have cleaned the filter there has been a lot on it. Readings now are ph 7.5 , chlorine 1.5 Didn't
    check stabizer but when I open pool it was fine.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

OK.

It's probably not quite as much under control as you think, but is still 'hiding' waiting for conditions to improve!

I need your water readings, and pool information (type of pool, type of feeder or 'sanitizer' or 'mineral' gear) before I can give you any recommendations.

Ben

OK- also checked with my pool guy and he said this isn't uncommon- my push/pull valve is probably starting to go, and he also thinks once the algae is better under control I'll be OK.
    Thanks for your help, Ben

+ Reply to Thread