+ Reply to Thread

Thread: black slime like in skimmer

Smile black slime like in skimmer

hello all, my water is crystal clear but i have some black slime ring in skimmer i dont have any other problems i can clean line out with a clorox towelette but is it algae or just what i have always had this problem but no issues with liner or anything else cya is at 100 ph is 7.2-7.4 i have been using copper algecide what should i be using?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: black slime like in skimmer

if your pool water is clear and the walls and floor are not slimy, then it is probably not algae. I think most skimmers get discolored after awhile. Probably from a combination of things like body oil, sunscreen, etc.

One other thing --- we NEVER suggest using a copper algaecide. Contrary to popular belief, it is not chlorine that causes blonde hair to turn green, it is copper. The only algaecide we ever recommend using is 60% Polyquat.

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

Are you sure your CYA is 100, or does it read 100 and could be 100+++++?
    Most tests only go to 100, and you can't tell how much over 100 you really are...
    This could lead to problems figuring out what FC to maintain.
    As Watermom said, if your water is clear and no slimy spots, probably not algae in the skimmer

just got test kit and learning how to use the kit it is at 80or lower by sticks defiantly not higher keep in mind i did a complete water change due to a liner change and this was the last week of apr. so i have been getting all levels to where they should be as i said just bought the kit so really learning how to use that i used strips before i tested with strips today (due to lack of time i test every day with strips) and the free chlorine was only thing that was high will do another full test tomorrow when liner was changed i added stabilizer so its been circulating 24/7 for about a month now as stated water is crystal clear just didn't understand the black in skimmer had allot of people over weekend so it very well could have been sunscreen and etc. had this every year store said algae but not seen anywhere else but in skimmer i don't think its algae from what i read on this forum this is a great site!!!!!!!!!!! thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If you have what we used to call "slip and dippers" -- folks that grease up, lay out, sweat and sun, rinse it all off in the pool . . . and then repeat, you will DEFINITELY get a slime line in the skimmer, and often on the pool tile or liner.

Best thing to scrub it off with -- that will not mess up pool chemistry -- is baking soda paste.

Ben

+ Reply to Thread