+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help - algae nightmare - drain or bbb, filter & scrub

Default Help - algae nightmare - drain or bbb, filter & scrub

Here's my dilemma. Do I drain pool or fight it w/ BBB , Vacuuming, Filtering & brushing down.
    Specs on Pool: N. Ga. Pool - Temp. outside - 90's, 23K - Pebble Tech pool - Cartridge Filter, 2 HP pump, Auto Chlorinator, 280 Polaris, Mesh Cover used.
    Problem: Pool pump went out last fall, closed pool incorrectly winterizing w/o pump. Just replaced pump motor, opened late (for season ) this week- 6/03. Ran Polaris unit & pool pump 2 hours which loaded up filter fast. Cleaned filter, ran 2 hours - loaded filter again. Been skimming loose 'big particles' w/ nets. Ran hand down the walls of the pool complete slime through out - 1/4" thick. Bought shock- 2 bags- shocked the pool, added muriatic acid, and calcium chloride as needed off pool water tests. Found this site just now - printed 30+ pages to file.
    ++ Question --- Being there's 'so much algae' & it loads the cartridge filter 'so fast'. Is it worth fighting this algae problem - or just drain & start over. It would take 4 days to fill up pool of well. I've got pressure washer & ability to drain. I've got the time to filter, BBB, etc. Is it safe to pressure wash a cartridge filter on low. What is the avg. lifespan of these filters? Is a Mesh Mate wise to use to save algae start up problems in Spring?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Help - algae nightmare - drain or bbb, filter & scrub

Hi GM;

Your choice.

If it was me, and the water cost wasn't a problem, I'd just drain and refill. Like you say, it's 90 (9-fleeping-4 here right now, and climbing on June 5th, for crying out loud!). That's going to be the fastest way (if you can drain and fill reasonably quickly) to get your pool running. Plus, pressure washing the pool quickly will clean those algae stains. Just remember to keep the 'goo' stirred up, as you drain, so you don't end up with a foot of un-pump-able sludge at the end.

Do NOT pressure wash the cartridge; use an ordinary hose with an ordinary sprayer to clean the cartridge. Dunno that there's any certain "life" - depends on the cartridge, use, and how you've cleaned.

Ben

+ Reply to Thread