+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Question-How Reduce Power Costs?

OK, Thanks.

If I would keep the pump, then can I simply run the pump /filter less time than I would with a 1 HP. Say 3 hours versus 6-7 hours.

Thanks again.

slowtan is offline ** No working email address ** slowtan 0

I thought you are suppose to run your pumps when it is during the hottest part of the day???

Quote Originally Posted by kaybinster
    If your utility offers it, you might want to switch to time of day billing. Obviously you will need to do an analysis of how much electricity you use at various times of day. In NJ, time of day billing gives you cheap power during off-peak in exchange for expensive power peak periods which are M-F 9am-9pm. I have an electric heat pump to heat the pool and run the pump and the heat pump at night and on weekends when power is cheap.

Another option is to install a PV solar electric system to generate your own power. I have a 10 kw system which generates about 12,000 kwh a year. Check out the threat on solar water heating where I described the system in more depth.

Wow this thread got active during my absence.

1) MWSMITH2 - Howdy neighbor, I’m in Grand Lakes subdivision.

2) mas985 – Thanks for your response to my thread starting questions, I have a 1 foot raised spa with spillover so probably the builder was by installing small nozzles, trying to ensure water diverted to spa, and thus spillover. I’ll try fully removing the “nozzles” one at a time to watch what happens to spa spillover. Also thanks for your thoughts on pump economics.

3) Poconos, agree, centrifugal pump, dead head pump and very low current draw. Same pump curves for big electric submergible centrifugal pumps we install in oil wells, however for those pumps there is a sweet spot range that the pump is designed for, too low a rate and yes low power but pump in downthrust (ie wrecks bearings), two high a rate vs design range and pump in upthrust, same problem. Problem is that what I want is high volume per $, or rather high volume per amp. So I assume this is when rate is highest (haven’t looked at pump curves)?

4) CarlD – My pool is ~26,000 USGallons, is your Hayward Super Pump a two speed pump or do you just run it full at 1 HP?

5) Slowtan - I read somwhere, I think www.poolsolutions.com tip that better in my case (saltwater pool) to generate Chlorine in evening as thus longer for it to do it's work before sun burns it off again next day . . .

Reason away is it's been garden planting season around here in South Texas, especially as it’s been unusually cool, pool dropped from 72 F two weeks ago to 61 F . . . . back to heating the spa ! !
    Last edited by Katy-Texas; 03-29-2006 at 08:51 AM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

My super pump is 2 speed and I run it at low 95-99% of the time--with solar panels. But my pump is close to the pool, and the panels are the deck around the pool (nice! The deck stays cool to walk on !)

I don't know all the math but I suspect a 2.5hp pump is too darn big for most pools--but the spas may need it.

With 26k, you can go with a 1.5 superpump 2 speed and STILL get great performance in low speed.
    Carl

If your utility offers it, you might want to switch to time of day billing.
    Yeah, down in this part of the world, we don't have such a thing. Ah well. Even if that were possible, I'd still want to circulate during the hottest part of the day to keep the Cl levels constant throughout the pool, especially since I have a SWC.

Michael

kaybinster Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mwsmith2
    Yeah, down in this part of the world, we don't have such a thing. Ah well. Even if that were possible, I'd still want to circulate during the hottest part of the day to keep the Cl levels constant throughout the pool, especially since I have a SWC.

Michael
    Always thought you wanted to chlorinate after the sun went down to minimize the sun burning it off. I have done this now for 8 years and have never even once had a problem with any algea or any other water problems.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Always thought you wanted to chlorinate after the sun went down to minimize the sun burning it off. I have done this now for 8 years and have never even once had a problem with any algea or any other water problems.
    Apples and oranges.

Michael is talking about circulation when the water is most at risk, and, with an SWG, all is different.

Adding chlorine after the sun sets allows the chlorine to fight the algae without risk of it being broken down too soon by UV light.

As for your pool, sounds like it ain't broke--so you have no reason to fix it.
    Carl

Well, if you use CYA, there's really no worry about having the sun burn it off. I agree with Carl, if it works for you, no need to change!

Michael

+ Reply to Thread