+ Reply to Thread

Thread: had algae, PH high, TA high, water now cloudy

Default had algae, PH high, TA high, water now cloudy

We had a very green pool. 48"x 15' intex. With test strips, FC didn't show, PH & TA were max 8.4/240, I suspect higher. CYA 0. We have a SW system that ran for two days, but turned it off after reading on here that we should get water under control before turning it back on, to extend the life of the SW system. We added bleach & it started looking a little better. Then before I read not to, I added algae guard. Then some chlorine things that go in the skimmer. The water got even more cloudy than it was. It also seemed to bring a little of the green color back. and seemed to have a film on the surface of the water. I added about 3 bags of shock. 1 was the amount advised. The FC- 10, PH- 8.4, and TA- 240 were all at the max on the test strip. CYA showed 30-50. I think the FC/Chlorine level was probably closer to 15 or maybe even 20. I did the 1:1 thing and the FC still maxed out at 10.

Went a purchased a drop tester from Walmart. Just tested with a 6 way drop tester.

Results about 13 hours after adding the shock. Green is gone, but water is still super cloudy. Changing filter every day.

Hardness- (it is suppose to turn red, then add drops for it to turn blue) It started off blue. Our water is VERY soft. strip test looks close to 100. first choice is 0, then the next is 100.
    FC- dark yellow/orange. so I did 1:1 - estimated 10
    PH - 8.4 , color looked just like the 8.4
    TA - 420- 450
    CYA- filled up the tube & I could still see the black dot, guessing - 0/ strip test says 30-50

I added PH down & we have the water that goes back into the pool angled so that it splashes.

Going to test again in the morning. Water smells strongly of Chlorine and is very cloudy. We have family coming over tomorrow and I know the kids are hoping to swim. They won't get here until 2-3pm. Would it be safe to swim with such a high PH and TA? Also, not sure if the FC levels are okay to swim in. I'm thinking I just won't add anything else and cross my fingers it will be okay tomorrow.

Any advice would be great. Thanks so much!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-05-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: fix title

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Mom4fun- had algae, PH high, TA high, water now cloudy

Hi, and welcome!!

Keep in mind that your pH will read falsely high when chlorine is above 10. So you might want to lower pH to below 8, but not too much til you retest with chlorine lower. Also, when your water splashes, it raises pH instead of lowering it. TA shouldn't affect swimming, and pH won't either if you get it below 8.

Keep in mind too that if your water smells strongly of chlorine, you're actually smelling chloramines, which indicates your chlorine is fighting something in the water. The answer s to raise your chlorine higher. These chloramines can be extremely irritating to eyes, which may be your barrier to swimming. Also, if the water is cloudy, you may not be able to see anbody in the deep end having problems. So-- I eould leave filter running tonight and shock the pool as soon as possi le. You MAY be able to swim tomorrow, but make sure eyes are closed underwater!!

Janet
    Janet

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I'm with Jan. It's PROBABLY safe, but...
    I'd raise FC to 13-15 immediately using bleach and keep it there. I'm assuming your dot-test of CYA is correct and your strip isn't so you have little or no CYA. Either way 15ppm won't hurt your pool, but will kill algae faster.
    You can get steam distilled water at your local supermarket or discount chain drug store. Dilute 1 part pool water with 2 parts distilled water and then measure. If you read "5" for chlorine, it means you have 15ppm. Search for the "CarlD Shotglass Method" here or at PoolSolutions.com (Ben's other site).
    Now 1 gallon of 6% bleach will raise your FC by 13ppm. 1 quart will raise it by about 3-3.25ppm.
    Run your filter 24/7, and clean the cartridge whenever the flow seems to lessen.
    I'd check the water several times a day and add bleach when it drops below 15 since you are in a rush to get it cleaned up.
    At this point, bleach is your best and safest bet.

Carl
    Carl

Thank you so much.

I've been putting bleach in everyday now in the evenings. It will read very high 10 -15+ estimated sometimes (depending on how much I add), then by the next mid day to afternoon, extremely low or not at all. I tested the PH again at a time when the chlorine wasn't showing up at all. It was still showing 8.4. I have over the last few days used a whole bottle of PH down. I put some in everyday, then tested at the 24 hour or over mark. It doesn't seem to be coming down. The water is still very cloudy. I have changed the filter about every 24 hours also. Although, most of the time they're not too dirty. I thought about putting in a chemical that makes everything stick together (clarifier ?) then you can vacuum it off the bottom. I'm sorry I don't remember what it is called right now. O, also I have noticed the hardness is climbing up. Not sure why or what that will effect. I can read around about hardness I guess. I wondered if I should add a little CYA since my FC levels seem to be bouncing or if I should put Chlorine in twice a day to try to keep it level. As far as the PH, should I just keep slowly adding PH down each day? Does it hurt to swim with a PH over 8.4?

My end goal is to balance the water so that we can begin to use our Salt water system and have it clear, instead of cloudy. I would just LOVE to be able to get CLEAR water. So love it! I check the pool multiple times a day. I am determined to get it right! Thank you so much for the help!

I'm sorry Carl, I didn't see your post until just now. Okay. I will start trying to keep the levels above 15. I have added a 1.42 gal / 182 fl oz bottle of 6% bleach today. I have added about half to a whole 1.42 gal bottle everyday for the last 3 days. I wasn't sure if I put enough, then other times afraid I may have put in too much. lol

I can check it as many times a day as I need to. I guess I can start with morning, noon, and evening. Thank you SO MUCH for the advice!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

You are welcome. Keep us informed.

Carl
    Carl

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

hope your pool is clearing up- the more you test and maintain the chlorine levels as suggested, the faster it will clear. Keep the filter running 24/7, and keep adding pH down (or muriatic acid) til you get the pH below the 8.4- you can test it an hour after adding also, and add more... I wouldn't adjust any lower, just low enough to read less than 8.4, until the algae/cloud issue is resolved, but wouldn't leave it that high either

+ Reply to Thread