+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rust in water

Question Rust in water

We have a 10'x30" 1018 gal intek easy set "kiddie pool". I've wanted a pool for 20 years, and I'm very happy to start with this one. We actually were going to get the 1.5 ft deep rectangle kiddie pool until we saw this one wasn't much more $.

We filled from our well which is high on iron and sulphur. Home water is filtered like crazy but the hose is straight from the well....Didn't really think this through. I don't want to dump and refill because the easier this is on my husband, the more likely he is to let me upgrade in a few years. We're currently filtering it 24x7 and rinsing the filter. I also put a cotton sock filled with cotton balls on the jet coming in. Since this addition of the sock, the water has gone from watery chocolate milk to very weak tea.

Shocked with household chlorine twice so far this week (I'd like to make all the iron rust out now instead of constantly battling it).
    pH is currently 7.8. On the poolsolutions page about kiddie pools, it doesn't mention messing with the pH. Should I not worry about it, or should I get it fixed (once rust goes away)?

Thanks!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Rust in water

pH is at the high end of acceptable. The sock and cotton balls was brilliant! IF you can get the rust out via the filter and vacuuming do so. If you have to use a "garden hose vacuume" with a bag, fill it with cotton balls again to catch what it can. That's a gadget called a Slime Bag that does what your sock does, only better. You want to get as much rust out of the water and into the filter or to waste as you can.

If all else fails you'll have to use a sequestrant, a liquid that dissolves the rust and keeps it in suspension until you drain your pool. I've never used one but we have experts on that around here.

Carl
    Carl

Default Re: Rust in water

I check it every 2 hours or so and change the pool's socks. We don't have a vacuum and probably won't get one. The fewer gadgets we have (aka expenses), the better my husband's opinion of the pool will be. About 4x a day I've been going out and sweeping the rust that's fallen to the bottom back into the water so it can get to the filter.
    We also don't have a ladder yet. While he thinks we should enter every time via cannonball, I'm on the lookout at yard sales this weekend.
    Husband's distaste for pools is from having an above ground pool when he was a kid. I'm assuming his dad's opinion wore off on him.

+ Reply to Thread