+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Re-balancing after switching to Chlorine

Default Re-balancing after switching to Chlorine

Thursday, June 2nd 6:45 a.m. (Day 8)
    Throughout the day on Wednesday the FC level was keep elevated by adding multiple dosages of chlorine (bleach 6%) based on the records from the prior 2 days – with only 1 water test was completed (8:30 p.m.).

Changing the sand within the filter went OK, what a mess! - and it took longer then thought it would. Backwashed & rinsed, restated circulation at 4:30 p.m. – with some visible sand later in the pool? - not sure why?

The following readings were taken at 6:30 p.m. (2 hrs after re-starting pump)
    WT = 83 deg.
    FC = 0.5 ppm (really low based on the reading this a.m.?)
    CC <= 0.5 ppm
    pH = 7.1
    TA = 45
    CH = did not test
    CYA = did not test

With the pH at borderline low, I will add the following;
    pH - 7:30 p.m., add 1 lb of soda ash (Borax)
    TA – 9:00 p.m., add 2 lbs of baking soda (A&H)
    FC – 10:30 p.m., add 1.42 gal of chlorine (bleach 6%)

Plans for early a.m. on Friday include 1) vacuum sand from bottom of pool, 2) complete a comprehensive water test, and 3) almost certainly add 1-2 lbs of stabilizer / conditioner (via sock in strainer).

Any and all comments with regard to correct steps to balance our pool, now that the BaquaGoo is finally gone, would greatly appreciated and “Thank you”
    Gene

PS - Watermom. Thank you for re-directing my questions here on the Forum!

Default Re: Re-balancing after switching to Chlorine

Friday, June 3rd, 6:15 a.m. (Day 9)

Our pool (IG, 18400 gal. vinyl liner, 300lb sand filter) has a very bluish color and looks crystal clear this a.m. – thanks to finally having a chlorine based sanitizer! With the exception of some visible sand in the bottom from changing the sand, and then balancing the water, we will soon be ready to enjoy the pool for the rest of the summer! Test results from this a.m. are as follows;

WT = 81 deg.
    FC = 4 ppm
    CC = 0.4 ppm
    pH = 7.2
    TA = 60 ppm
    CH = 0-30 ppm (1st test sample turned light purple, 2nd test sample (with Hardness Reagent added first) – water turned immediately Blue once the 5 drops of R0011L was added?)
    CYA <= 30 ppm

My best guess is to add / do the following (after I vacuum the pool):
    pH – on the low side but OK for now
    FC & CC – both OK, keep watch on FC during the day
    TA – add another 2 lbs of baking soda (A&H) –later this a.m.
    CYA – add 2lb via sock in skimmer basket
    CH - ?? Could use some help here – the test results are a concern!
    Algaecide – When to add?

However, other then increasing the TA & CYA, any actions with regard to the CH (which is likely have some iron or copper present), as well as ‘when’ to add the Algaecide, is where I could some more information / help.

In advance, many “Thank You” for your time & inputs,
    Gene

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

give the CYA a few days to completely dissolve- it takes a while to show up on tests
    wouldn't worry to much about TA and CH- their exact number isn't important on a vinyl pool. (TA is really just your pH buffer, so if no swings in pH you're fine- mine is 40!)
    Algaecide also isn't needed- other than maybe at closing or if you're going to be away for an extended time, like a week long vacation with noone monitoring chlorine levels; with correct FC, you won't need algaecide, the chlorine will keep it killed off!

Madwil,
    Oops! I already added the baking soda, but it should not bother anything – especially after I had to add water (~ 1.5”) once the vacuum process was completed.

Algaecide may be another question? The pressure connection for the Polaris was binding (due to sand) and when I removed the outside connector a lot white slimy junk (algae?) can out of the feed line – some of which I was able to scoop-up. Would adding some algaecide now help prevent some issue later?

Gene

As long as you maintain proper FC levels, you'll never need algaecide- except maybe when closing pool...
    not sure about the slimy junk- don't use a Polaris, so not familiar with the connection; It may be a small amount of residual slime from before your conversion, but should break down in time with other factors maintained, I think...

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

The white slimy stuff is almost certainly leftover gunk from the Baq....if you'll leave the entire Polaris unit in the pool for a day or so, the chlorine in the pool will take care of whatever you weren't able to manually remove....

Algaecide is not needed. If you keep your chlorine levels adequate, then you won't have a problem with algae. Save the algaecide for winter when you're ready to close--and even then, only use it if it's Polyquat. If it's anything else, take it back and get your money back.

Janet
    Janet

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Monday 6/6, 8:30 a.m. (Day 12) – Since we started & successfully completed conversion to Chlorine!

Aylad – “Thank you” for your comments with regard to white algae, algaecide / Polyquat, I am (and will) follow your recommendations!

Our pool looks crystal clear once again this a.m. – and we enjoyed our 2nd day of swimming yesterday! Since Friday, for the most part I’ve only added a slight amount of chlorine (bleach 6%) to bump the FC level, or to increase the level in expecting some additional swimmers. However, I’m also learning that 10-12 hrs is not enough time between adding a Stabilizer (Cyanuric acid 100%) and adding Baking Soda (to bump-up the TA from ~ 80 ppm). I realize that they are not to be added at the same time – but is there an elapsed time as to when the other dosage can be added? Or should I just raise the CYA level first (which is very low – or the DOT always visible?) over a ~1 week period, then worry about the TA being on the low side?

Many “Thank You” to everyone on the PoolForum who have taken your time to respond my questions – all of your comments, advice, and guidance has been a BIG help – and greatly appreciated,
    Gene

I would "cautiously" raise the CYA- its easy to overdo it!
    I wouldn't even worry about the TA, if your using bleach and your pH isn't changing suddenly...

Madwil
    The pH has been steady at 7.4 from Friday p.m. through Sunday p.m., and 7.6 this a.m. – so I’ll follow your recommendations with regard to TA.

With a near zero level of CYA, and I’ve only added 3 lbs to date (the last of which was 1.5lbs in the evening on Saturday) and I’ll wait till Tuesday 6/7 p.m. to re-test, and go from there before adding any more stabilizer.

Thank you for your response!
    Gene

+ Reply to Thread