+ Reply to Thread

Thread: newbie- building 2 in ground pools- 20k gal. and 4k gal for kids-have questions

maclelld51 Guest

Default newbie- building 2 in ground pools- 20k gal. and 4k gal for kids-have questions

i own a small b&b in costa rica and want to put inground the above 2 pools.
    16.5 ft x 33 ft. - avg depth 4 ft- estimated 16k gallons?
    23 ft x 4 ft. depth 2.5 ft. for kids. - est. 4k gallons
    we have infrequent earthquakes in this region, usually no damage whatsoever, just the ground trembling, since i am not located near any of the more active areas. the most common pools are constructed with cinder block, but there is 1 firm nearby who can install fibreglass pools. any help on which to choose and why would help alot.

also, is it possible to run two pools off 1 pump? electricity costs are very high here and i need to minimize costs- as do we all. there is a business nearby that sells HAYWARD pumps and equipment. from the research i've done so far- this seems to be a good brand of pump. do they have a 2 stage high efficiency pump(s) that would work in this setup.

i guess for now i'll go with an inline chlorine system, and a sand filter. i was thinking about 50-60gpm would be about right?

any suggestions are appreciated.

daniel

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: newbie- building 2 in ground pools- 20k gal. and 4k gal for kids-have questions

Hi Daniel and welcome. I can't help with your questions but hopefully someone will be along soon who will be able to offer some advice. Just wanted to say hello and thank you for becoming a subscriber. We appreciate the financial support in keeping our forum online and able to help people with their pools. Hope you will enjoy the forum and get some good advice to help you with your projects!

Default Re: newbie- building 2 in ground pools- 20k gal. and 4k gal for kids-have questions

I suppose with creative plumbing you could rig 1 pump for both pools. But here's the problem, You're still filtering ALL of the water in both pools. Running (for example) 1 pump for 8 hours instead of two pumps for 4 hours (or 2 and 6) probably won't save you any electricity costs. You may save money on the price of the second pump, but you still need a filter big enough to handle the total water volume. Look into some High Rate filters for your total estimated water volume, which kinda sounds a little under estimated to me.

Hope this helps. BTDG
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread