+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump sucking air and filling filter tank

Default Pump sucking air and filling filter tank

Hello. My DE filter fills with air pretty fast, and there is air jetting out of the return closest to the filter. Any tips on figuring where the air is entering the system? I don't see any water dripping anywhere. I had a pic to post but it seems that I am not allowed.
    Thanks, and sorry of this is too general a question.
    Mark

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

Default Re: Pump sucking air and filling filter tank

not to general a question, as long as you don't mind a general answer!

Air in filter is usually a suction side leak... when you turn the pump off, it may drip and show you where.
    A common place is the filter basket at the pump- the lid sometimes is finicky. Is this basket full, or does it have air in it?
    I've also seen people use incense to look for leaks- on a calm day, light the incense and move it along the piping (with pump on) and watch the smoke...

Thanks. To be more specific, the basket (it has a screw-on lid) does eventually fill with air. I make sure it is tight and the gasket is new and greased. When I shut off the pump, the system drains down fairly fast, with a lot of gurgling. I also notice, when the pump is running at either the hi or lo speed, that the return closest to the pump burps up bubbles on a fairly consistent basis. When I shut everything down, I see no leaks or drips. I am mystified.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

You may or may not see a drip on the suction side. It only takes a very small leak to let in a lot of air. One thing for certain is it has to be on the suction side. As for the gurgling when the pump is shut off, could be the same leak or a valve letting air into the system from the waste line. Don't know what kind of valving arrangement you have and not that familiar with DE filters but if it's a multiport valve it could be the valve gasket. With the pump running is there any water coming out the waste line? Even a small dribble? Also remember the gurgling may, and probably is, a totally separate issue from the air getting in.
    Al
    Edit: And a big welcome to the forum.

Hey, thanks for the info. I see that I have a leak between the filter basket and the pump -- the inlet to the pump is finned and surrounded by bolts. When the pump is off, water drips from there. Is that enough to fill the filter tank and shoot air out the return?

Another question, then: The pump is 14 years old. Should I replace it at this point?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Probably. As I said, a tiny leak can let in a lot of air. As for replacing the pump, after 14 years it owes you nothing. I'd say you got your moneys worth. However if it's in good shape, no rust and will come apart easily without snapping bolts, and you can get parts, you may try a repair. But, although motor basics haven't changed, motors can be built to run at higher efficiencies today compared to 14 years ago. I think I would tend to go for a replacement and maybe even consider a two speed.
    Al

+ Reply to Thread