+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solar heater for above ground pools

Default Solar heater for above ground pools

I was wondering if anyone has had any success with a solar heating system for their pool? I've had a smaller Intex pool the last few years so the sun didn't really have a problem with warming the pool. This year I upgraded to a 16 x 48 and I'm thinking the sun might need a little boost. I've seen some solar heaters of the DIY variety, and also the pre-made ones. I was just wondering if there was any honest feedback on the different systems available?

Thanks for your input.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Solar heater for above ground pools

Solar heaters can make a world of difference. I have two 2x20 panels on my 24ftAG and they add a lot of heat to my pool. On May 31, my pool water was up to 90. (Which is a little warm for my liking, so I may leave the solar cover off for a night or two.) I *think* my solar panels were made by FAFCO.

Hi Mom! Ben sent you my e-mail addresses, drop me a line!

Anyway, I agree, 90° F and above is Soup. I live just outside of Phoenix and my pool water gets up to 96° F I need a good way to cool mine down. Anything above 90° F is not refreshing at all.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

Watermom,

Can I ask where you live? I'm in Central Illinois. I've been searching solar heaters, and I'm thinking it would be good here. I was just curious as to how many degrees they actually add to the temp. I'm also not a tech person, but I'm pretty sure I can follow directions if they were clear enough. How much time did the solar setup take you?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I'm in WV. I really can't say how many degrees we add, but I can tell you that without it, my swim season would not start as early or last as long. i can usually swim early to mid May until October. Without it, I'd guess probably early June to mid-September. If you have a sunny place to install solar panels, do it. They will make a big difference in a pool. Equally important is to get a solar cover (solar blanket) to cover your pool with at night. It keeps your pool from losing at night the heat that you gain during the day. That also makes a BIG difference. I don't think you'll regret getting solar panels. It isn't complicated. You just have to know how to do some basic plumbing. Some of the websites that sell these things may have tutorials about installation. Take a look and see. If you get it, there should be some people here on the forum who can help you with some pointers. I'm not one of them!!! You want help with pool chemistry? No problem. You want help with anything mechanical, electrical, plumbing, etc. Not my department!!

A good way to cool a pool down is to uncover the pool and run the solar panels at night.

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

cooling is an issue for me right now- no heater, no solar panels, water temp 92 yesterday!
    I've been thinking about solar panels, like Mom said would help cool overnight and maybe extend the swim season a couple weeks earlier and a month maybe later...

mommak is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst mommak 0

Watermom,
    Could you please tell me what kind of Fafco solar panels you have? Also, are they mounted on your rooftop or at an angle on the ground? Does it make a difference, as long as which ever you choose gets a fair amount of sunlight?
    I am trying to find out as much information and then order solar panels for our AG pool. Also, what kind of plumping does one need?
    This is all new to me, and I am feeling lost and overwhelmed.

I have a 4'x20' solar panel on my 27ft AG pool. We built a south-facing rack to mount the panel on. I can either run all, none or part of the flow through those panels. The plumbing is basically some flexible hoses, a few pvc ball valves and some pvc. I will take a picture and post it in a while to show you my set up. The solar panel, combined with the solar cover, make a huge difference in the temperature of my water.

Whether rooftop installation or on the ground makes any difference, I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think so. I think most important is how it will best fit on your property.

mommak is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst mommak 0

Red face Re: Solar heater for above ground pools

A picture would be great. We have space in our yard for the solar panels.
    Thanks

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I also love our solar panels. We had them installed by a contractor that specializes in solar systems. The panels are on a second story roof. Our setup includes a basic solar controller with temperature sensors for the water and the panels on the roof, a diverter valve controlled by the solar controller, a check valve, and a vacuum relief valve and isolation valves.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

+ Reply to Thread