+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pool still cloudy white. Been a week today... This stinks.

Default Pool still cloudy white. Been a week today... This stinks.

Hi all. Happy summer of 2011!!!!

FC 13
    PH 7.2
    Alk 80
    CYA 30
    Hardness. 1gpg or 17.1 ppm. I tested with my well hardness powder test

History.

Opened pool up. Pool was a green swamp. This is because I needed to take cover off early spring beacuse of rip, and did not want leaves falling in.

Shocked like crazy. (Bleach) PH was high while shocking in the beggining. 12 + Have not added anything but claifier.

Green turned to a white haze. (White milk)

I have had the filter running hi/lo 24/7. Adding DE not adding DE. Added the blue clarifier 3 times 2oz, 2oz, and 4 oz. Hi/lo, hi/lo etc....

Chlorine stays overnight, and all day in the sun. I have not added any in 24 hours.

What do I do??????

Testing with taylor deluxe kit Chlorine,ph,alk.
    Last edited by Lawrosa; 06-01-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default Re: Pool still cloudy white. Been a week today... This stinks.

Is the pool cloudy mostly in the deeper part of the pool? I suspect that with your size pool you have one return and one skimmer and no floor drains, is that right? If so, then you can do two things to help clear the cloudiness in the pool -- 1) brush the pool to stir up what is on the bottom to help get it to the filter and 2) point the return diagonally down and to the side to create a circular swirling effect that can bring up some of what is in the bottom of the pool to the surface. I'd continue to use DE in your sand filter, but you've got to get the cloudy water to the filter to clear it. I'm also assuming your filter is actually working properly -- if the sand is channeled, then that won't work properly to filter (though if it were really bad then the DE that you add could come back out the return).

Its a small pool. There is no deep end. I cant see 6" down, and even that might be the reflection. No floor drain.

I been brushing, and vacuuming everyday.

The return is one of those lights, and is aimed downish. It always sprays out the side away from the skimmer.

Get the cloudy water to the filter!!!!!!??????? The whol pool is cloudy. I am sure the cloud is getting there...LOL

I dont think its channeled, and if DE was getting back I would not know. It would be the same color of the water...Ha,ha...

I had my old cartridge filter hooked in series with the sand. The filter is old but it does build pressure. I got tired of sparaying it, so I took the cartridge out and am just using the sand. I can see light through some of the pleates. No holes but real thin in areas. Its 6 yrs old...LOL

Oh and I think the blue stuff might be working. I added 4 oz this morning. I just backwashed for the overnight run and the glass was really white, like it was catching stuff finally. Or it could be the DE , but usually the DE comes out quick, and then the glass is clear. This time the glass stayed white for a good minute.

I have a new cartridge coming but will not be here until Tuesday, so I am stuck with using the sand.

The reason I have two filters, is because the sand is way easier for start up with heavy debris. The cart cloggs to fast. Once I get it clear I use the cart. I usually only need to clean once during the season. Its 100 sq ft.

I only been adding about 1/4 cup of DE. If I add more the pressure goes up quickly and slows the return. Then it gets to 19 psi from 12 psi start and just sits there.
    Last edited by Lawrosa; 06-01-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

Still cloudy!!! Actually I thought it was clearing up last night. But shocked again last night and ran pump overnight. I am beggining to think its the bleach. I know you will all say it cant be, but thats what I believe.

I am going to do a test and let the chlorine come down to normal levels. If it clears up then someone could explain why.

I am not crazy.....

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Sounds like you have filter failure -- pretty typical on AG pools with sand filters.

Put your cartridge filter back in, and you'll probably be able to clean up in a few days.

Ben

OK I will give it a try. The reason I am trying because I never floc'ed the pool and I would not know how to vacuum it up.

How about the claifier? Is this something I should continue to add? I added 2 oz, 2 oz, the 4 oz an all different days.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Pool doc I read your post on the other thread. I do have a 2 speed pump and been using low at night and high during the day.

I have the cart and sand hooked in series. I put the cart back in like you suggested. The pressures are normal there. Typically the sand by itself starts at 12 psi. With the cart installed the sand is at 8psi. Lower flow? It will filter better I would think. If I run it with both filters on low the flow is too reduced IMO. So I am running on Hi now.

All #'s are still normal. Just cloudy.

OK all #'s normal.

Still cloudy.... Ho..Hum!!!!

I will post afternoon the status.

OK all #'s normal.

FC 4
    alk 80
    ph 7.2
    cya 30

Still cloudy. Filtering 24/7

Ho Hum. Vacuum and brush everyday.

Will probably copy and past this for tomorrows update. Will be two weeks Tuesday.

+ Reply to Thread