+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pool still cloudy white. Been a week today... This stinks.

Default Re: Pool still cloudy white. Been a week today... This stinks.

Is this what I need to test my chlorine at high levels?????? I never knew they made such a thing.

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr...D=1&KitID=2185

But 25 bucks???

Cheaper then 80 bucks though. I have all the other tests.

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr...D=1&KitID=2230

Mike NJ
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

You can also buy the K-1515 by clicking on the link in Pooldoc's signature in this thread. If you order it there, a small amount gets kicked back to PoolForum to help pay for maintaining the place. One K-1515 will EASILY get you through the season. Since you have the other tests, yes it's the key to what you need.

Carl
    Carl

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Can you post your latest current numbers?
    FC
    TC
    CC
    pH
    T/A
    CH
    CYA

I'd like to see you run that Calcium Hardness test again, just to be sure it's not that, combined with Total Alkalinity and pH. Just a hunch......

Carl
    Carl

OK.

I added 244 oz of bleach late afternoon yesterdayto raise FC 17-20. FC was a 2 or 3.

Buy night time I tested with a 1/4 part pool water to 3/4 part ro tap water it tested at FC 8. ( 2 ppm x 4 )

So I added 96 oz to bring it back up to FC 15 ppm

This morning tested same way and was a FC 12.

Added 48 oz to bring back to FC 15 PPM

Filter was running all night. Pressure rise stopped on both filters. Sand with DE started at 12 psi.Added DE and went to 14 psi. Overnight it raised to 16.5 and stopped there. It was pretty much there when I went to bed.

Cart I am not touching. Its new and I have not cleaned it. I want it to get dirty so the pressure will start rising, and it catches stuff.

Pool still cloudy.

So FC 15
    PH is reading high now again, 8.2ppm. Because of shocking someone told me, and is normal????
    Alk 80 ppm
    CYA . Trying to find more reagent. Everone is out of it.
    Total hardness. 17.1 ppm
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

Your FC constantly dropping means you are DEFINITELY fighting something.
    Shocking DOES push your pH to read high but I would still add some MA or dry acid a bit at a time till pH reads under 8, in the 7's. When FC is high, I'd just like to see pH under 8. When/if FC drops again, you should see your TRUE pH and you'll want it in the 7.2-7.5 range

I have no idea how you can measure calcium hardness and get a number like 17.1ppm. I'd be hard pressed to tell if it was 10 or 20ppm. Also, if, at some point you were using cal-hyp, frequently packaged as "shock", that adds calcium. Even my local tap water tests around 60ppm.

Still, you may be bang on accurate and outside my experience.

Carl
    Carl

I have a total hardness test kit. Once scoop of powder turns it pink, and for every drop its 1 grain hard or 17.1 ppm. It turns blue as soon as I add the scoop.

My house water has a softner. My house water is 1 gpg or 17.1 ppm, hence my pool is the same. Thats my fill water.

I have never added any chemical to my pool but BBB from day one.

Lawrosa,
    As I said: outside my experience.

So you've reversed my hunch. Your cloudiness cannot be due to excess calcium in the water.
    So it's the algae fight and filtering fight.

The big key is you cannot maintain your FC level, which means chlorine is being metabolized, which means there something to be attacked with the chlorine.

Carl
    Carl

What is it???? There are no leaves or debris. I vacuum, and brush. Not slimy walls????The pool is clean but cloudy.

Hmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post
    What is it???? There are no leaves or debris. I vacuum, and brush. Not slimy walls????The pool is clean but cloudy.

Hmmmm.....
    I don't know but it's consuming your chlorine. There's nothing dead on the bottom, is there? You can't see but a skimmer or leaf rake might find it.

Carl
    Carl

No. I actually got in the pool yesterday with the brush and skimmer. I brush all walls and floor, and ran the skimmer around the bottom while kicking up with my feet. I got 3 leaves and a stick out. Thats all. I spent about 2 hours doing this. This was before I started shocking again. TC was about a 1 or 2.

I am keeping it to 15 plus as you and Ben suggest. And running the filter for 48 hours on hi. If it dont work I guess I will start draining, and refilling.

I just cant believe no one has had this problem. If its not normal then I must be doing something wrong.

Ohh and the whole state of NJ is out of cynaric acid test reagent #13. I called every pool store north and south of the mason dixon line..... Nothing.

Also should I try chlorox bleach???? I have been buying the cheap no name stuff...Could it be the bleach? Its all unscented with nothing added like easy pour, no splash, lemon scent...etc.

Mike NJ

+ Reply to Thread