+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Pool still cloudy white. Been a week today... This stinks.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Pool still cloudy white. Been a week today... This stinks.

Order #13 on-line. That's what I do. There are lots of places to get it. But the only shops I ever saw stock ANY Taylor reagents for individual sale is Leslies. The one on Rt 22 used to have them. Don't know about the Parsippany one.
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

OK.

Its been 48 hours of non-stop filtering, and shocking per Ben's instruction.

I CAN SEE THE BOTTOM!!!!! Still hazy/light cloudy.

Not sure what is in the pool but its eating chlorine like crazy. I have been testing with diluted sample. 1/4 pool to 3/4 RO water. I know its not accurate but that all I have.

I would shock to over 15 ppm and in an hour or so it was at a 12 ppm. Sometimes 8 ppm. I just kept using the calculator and adding what it said.

Now since the filter was not doing anything before, I figure whatever was not filterable, becomes filterable from shocking???? Is this correct????? So If someone had a cloudy pool its shock thats important to make the material filterable? If so how? Isnt live algae the same size as dead algae?

OK so thats where I am at. The other thing is I am not sure what my CYA is anymore. No one sells it in NJ from what I can see. I dont think they are suppling it. Only online.

I bought the DPD powder, and R- 0871 reagent for chlorine testing from taylor. It was as cheap or cheaper then any online store I could find. I also bought some CYA R-0013.

Anyone know of cheap online stores they used?

I guess I will shock alittle higher like I did last night and keep filtering.

Ohh, had a heck of a rain storm last night with hail. I wonder is it helped the pool....LOL. After the rain is when it started clearing.. Might be coinsidence.

Next question is what filter should I run for best clarity??? I have a cart and sand. I am starting to think sand with DE added is superior to the cart. My problem is a 1 hp two speed pump. Its rated for the cart at 80 gpm. The sand filter is rated at 25 gpm. Whats this all mean???

After all these yrs I thought I knew what I was doing.
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yeah we had that same storm. My FC was 1 today...barely! You gave us GREAT info: Your cart has a rating of 80gpm and your sand 25gpm. IMHO isconnect the sand filter and use the cart. It has far greater capacity and, at its root, filters better.

It's not that live algae is the same size as dead algae, it's that as long as algae is live it keeps making MORE algae to filter out. Dead algae doesn't.

Carl
    Carl

So just a wrap up. Pool is clear. Well it looks clear but something was off. I noticed a brown ring just below the water line. Something else seemed off also but I did not kno what.

Well I read the staining section, in the metals forum, and bought some vitamin C to do the test. Holy cow!!! I cleared a small spot so bright in the liner. The pool liner is actually blue. I been looking at a grey liner and did not even realize.

Yep. That was it. Clear water but a dull grey/brownish liner.

I have a post in the metals section, but no one has responded.

I wonder if I should take pics of how the vitamin C cleaned the liner??? There should be a pic section. Possible it will help others. I have alot of time and probably could document.

There are pics of my cloudy pool. I guess I will take pics with the dull liner. I plan on trying the absorbic acid.

I may just close the pool this year. Its getting expensive with all the filter running on high. All the bleach. Now absorbic acid was $$.( Just ordered today) Now I need polyquat, and metal something. Then watch the PH, and no high chlorine....Uggg. Probably just going to screw it up more. But as soon as the Chlorine level drops Im swimming until the acid gets here.

After that who knows. Its costing me $500 in chemicals just to swim for 3 months and get the pool right. Heck its only 6000 gallons. Imagine I had 20000 like alot of folks here. Should have bought a yr beach pass for the Jersey shore and took the kids there. Unemployment if tuff. Well I am in it this far right??? Cant stop now....I dont know....

Ugggggg!!!!!
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

posguy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst posguy 0

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post

I may just close the pool this year.
    Ugggggg!!!!!
    Dont do it, when the temp rises again here in Jersey youll be happy you didnt give up. Just think of how much gas youll save driving to the shore.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

When you put in the clarifier, are you turning off the pump at all? In the past I have used a "flocculant" and after letting it circulate for about 2 hours, I shut the filter off until the water is clear (this can be up to 48 hours) and there is a bunch of "stuff" on the bottom. Then I vacuum to waste and the water is clear. If the chlorine is holding, and the water is cloudy, you may just have to let the "stuff" sink to the bottom, and then vacuum to waste so it is out of the pool for good. Just my 2 cents, cause I know how frustrating it could be!
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread