+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pool still cloudy white. Been a week today... This stinks.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Pool still cloudy white. Been a week today... This stinks.

Is your filter pressure rising? Can you test and get either a CC or a TC reading in addition to the FC reading?

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

What's your CH? your other numbers look good, but CH can be screwy with cloud issues.
    Can you see your return water? does it look more/less cloudy than the pool?

I tested hardness with my hach hardness test. It has the powder you add one scope. It tests at 1 gpg or 17.1 ppm.

I will test CC when it comes down and I can see the results in the tube. Last time it was FC 1. then add r3 reagent and it read a 2. So that was TC 3, and CC 1? 2? But I have been shocking.
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Never heard of that test for hardness. The only powder test I'm familiar with is the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

Carl
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If you have a CC of 1, then you are fighting something in the water and need to continue shocking and try and consistently keep your chlorine level at about 15ppm. (How high have you been shocking to?) With a cya of 30, a cl level of 4 isn't gonna kill something growing in the water. I am not familiar with the units you used to measure your hardness level. Another thing I am wondering is whether your pump is too powerful. A 1hp pump is pretty big for a 6200 gallon pool. Too big of a pump on too small of a filter will not filter the water well because the pump forces debris through the filter with too much pressure and your sand can't trap it.

The hardness test is ammonium chloride... I use it to test my well hardness level. I think its total hardness?????

I have been shocking to above 13 ppm for all this time. I just started letting it come down to normal levels because nothing has been changing. The pool is white/blue cloudy.

I have been adding DE and running the pump on low. So I understand the too powerful of a pump thing. The pressure does rise with DE but not without it. I have a new cartridge coming for my old cartridge filter that I am going to hook back up. It will not be here until tuesday.
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

Go ahead and shock up a little higher and see if that helps. Try to sustain the high reading without letting it yo-yo up and down. Your pressure should be rising. I'm wondering if you are having filter issues.

Edit: I have also asked Ben to take another look at this thread and see if he has any other suggestions for you. He probably won't be around til at least this evening, however.

Yeah. Sand is one yr old. New laterals from last yr. Took apart, sand is good and all there. Took hose and stuck it in to clean it good. New spidergasket. Pressure rises overnight 6 psi or so on high, low goes up 2-4 psi, but on low output is really reduced so I backwash. On high it seems to stop before 20 psi. Starts at 12psi.

Just tested pool.

FC 2
    Added 5 drops of r3 looks inbetween 2 and 3. 2.5??? TC 2.5 ????
    Is that .5 CC???
    PH 7.2. Orange color. One color above 6.8
    Alk 80. 8 drops to change from green to red.
    Hardness like I said I have this kit. It changes pink to blue in one drop. 17.1 ppm or 1 gpg.

http://www.hach.com/hc/search.produc...kZVUT09QQ==%7C

CYA is at 30

What else should I test for?
    What defect should I be looking at with the sand filter? I see nothing wrong. The only thing is where the valve sits on the riser/lateral. Is there a O ring. It looks like the valve just sits on the pipe. Its tight. To get the valve off you need to rotate it to get it off. Otherwise the laterals want to come out.

http://www.poolsinc.com/images/parts/sc437.gif
    Last edited by Lawrosa; 06-05-2011 at 12:34 PM.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

With a smaller pool, is there just one return and no floor drains? Is the cloudiness mostly in the deeper water? If so, then poor circulation could be a problem where pointing the return downwards (or diagonally downwards) and brushing can help stir up the cloudy water to get it to the skimmer and into the filter.

Also, you could try adding some DE to your sand filter to improve filtration though your first post sounded like you tried that. You first note the PSI reading on your filter (with the pump running, of course), add 1/4 cup of DE in a bucket of water and pour it into the skimmer and then wait a couple of minutes, check the PSI reading on the filter, add another 1/4 cup of DE, repeat, until the pressure on the filter rises by 1 PSI. This should not take more than 1-2 cups of DE, probably less in your case since your filter is smaller.

Hopefully Ben will have some more ideas since he wrote that there are 100 Reasons for Cloudy Swimming Pool Water!
    Last edited by chem geek; 06-05-2011 at 01:54 PM.

One return. No floor drain. AG pool. Can see 6" down. Cloudy all the way. Added DE. 1/4 cup DE adds 1 psi. It rises 4-6 psi in 12 hours or so.

+ Reply to Thread