+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New, BIG project and Liner question

Smile New, BIG project and Liner question

Hi first time poster here. (Bet this place is just crawling with newbies this time of year eh?) So anyway, here’s my too long story; My wife and daughter always want a pool come this time of year (well, and me too.), and I was once again leaning toward the donut type or similar pool. Ease of assembly and price was, of course, what steered me that direction. Then I had the fortune, or made the mistake of (not sure yet) of going on craigslist and searching "pools". Well after looking around a bit, I see an ad titled "Best deal in town on pool" I figure it's an advertisement from a local dealer or some such but click on it anyway. Not the case at all. Instead, it was a guy with a 27 foot dia. 52 inch deep AG pool, Jacuzzi sand filter, with a 4 foot wide deck all the way around it, with an attached 16X12 foot sitting area deck as well, handrailing and lattice all around. Just a beautiful construction, and he was asking not much more than the cost of the biggest Wal-Mart pool I had looked at earlier that day for the whole shebang! Owner is a family man with wife and two teenaged sons, who are never home any more and he’s tired of messing with it so he decided to just get rid of it. I looked it over and the thing looks brand new! The decking is a bit weathered, but not bad, and nothing a good weather treatment won’t cure. Because it’s a gigantic, intimidating amount of work to tear it down and move it, he made dang sure the price he asked would attract someone not afraid of a considerable amount of hard work to get an unbelievable deal. He was motivated by seeing it gone more than making some money, which is my good luck (or maybe my curse, time will tell!)He's even throwing in 6 resin deck chairs, patio umbrella, spare, brand new 1 1/2 hp. pump, and left over chlorine/other chemicals.

Well, I am not afraid of hard work. Not this kind anyway, I enjoy it actually and am pretty handy with tools. I am also a structural designer so putting this thing back together shouldn't be too tough a challenge. I started breaking the deck down last weekend and am about half way done with that part of the job. This is gonna take time, but I will get there. Now, I have about 237 questions, but that’s less than I had before finding this forum. What a terrific resource for all things pool. However, I will limit my first post to one question/concern. I am wondering what I can expect as far as moving the actual pool, especially the liner. The owner said it was a beaded liner. It a Vogue brand pool (if that matters). I just wonder how difficult removing it and reinstalling it will be. I REALLY want to avoid having to buy a new liner if possible. This one is only a few years old and looks in perfect condition. Does anyone have any tips, comments, or potential concerns I should be aware of during the take down/ relocation aspect of this job?

Once I get the pool on my property and start setting up I will then post question number 2, 3, 4 etc. of 237, RE: iron in my well water, leveling, filtration... (actually I have already learned much about these things by just reading post after post. For that I thank you all.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New, BIG project. Hope I aint over my head, so to speak.

I think it is *iffy* that you'll be able to re-use the liner. Liners get brittle and lose their elasticity over time and especially once they are drained. Since you are getting such a good deal, why don't you just spring for a new liner. That way, you'll know that you have a good liner that will last you awhile. Just my $0.02. By the way, welcome and glad you found us. Sounds like you are doing your homework and reading a lot and that is good. I'd also suggest if you haven't done so already, that you read on our sister site www.poolsolutions.com . Lots of tips and guides that will help you!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yes, liners don't transfer too well. You may get lucky, maybe not. But a new liner won't involve luck What most new pool owners find (yours truly include, once upon a time) is that leveling a site is a far bigger and more expensive proposition than was planned for, whether it's a 12' Intex donut or a 40' Kayak. Been there, done that, burned the tee-shirt!

But, good luck and keep us in formed!

Carl
    Carl

Interesting on the leveling costs. I do have a transit and plan to do the work myself. The area I intend to put it in relatively level already, probably within 3 inches. What is the biggest expense, other than hired labor typically?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If you are within 3" you don't have much work to do. I had to face a drop of over 2'. A transit makes life MUCH easier, but a laser level can do the same job.
    Carl

Ok, so it is looking like I will need to purchase a new liner. That, of course, leads me to a couple questions. First, according to the dealer the original owner bought it from, the liner for that pool is a hung style. I’m not exactly sure what that is but assume that a molded channel lines the top of the liner than hooks over the pool’s metal frame correct? The dealer wants about 650.00 for a replacement, but I am finding better deals online, but want to make sure I buy a liner compatible with my pool. If I go with a liner that says J Hook style, would that work, is that the same thing? Could I go with an overlap and make that work. Basically, I’m asking what type liner I need to order. The dealer only wants me to buy one from them so they aren’t terribly helpful with this issue.

Also, I’m seeing expandable liners as an option and I am intrigued with this as well. I am doing the install myself, but I do have the equipment to scoop out the bottom and make the middle a foot or two deeper. Any problems with this idea I should consider? Anyone else here done this? One site selling liners noted that wrinkles are common and to be expected with expandable type liners. Is that true? If so, that’s a negative right there. Is 20 mil good enough or must I go 25? Any and all liner info is greatly appreciated!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I can't be much help with this question but just want to throw out a comment. Make sure you understand the difference between mil and gauge. They are NOT the same. I found that out a few years back when I replaced my liner. I don't remember off hand right now what the difference is, but just wanted to alert you that they are not one and the same. (Maybe you already knew that, but even if you did, there may be somebody else reading your thread who didn't. Thus the reason for my post!)

Good luck with your project!

EDIT: Ponduke ---- I see where you started a new thread with this very same question. It gets very confusing when we have two threads going at the same time about the same thing. So, I am going to delete your other thread. Also, I changed your title on this thread to include "and liner question" to draw attention to that part of it hoping to attract response from those who can help with your liner question.
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-06-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Alert Ponduke to closing of his other thread.

Default Re: New, BIG project and Liner question

Nope, didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up!

+ Reply to Thread