+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it possible to purchase the plastic tank of a Hayward Sand Filter?

Default Is it possible to purchase the plastic tank of a Hayward Sand Filter?

Hi All,

I have a tiny hole in the bottom of my Hayward Sand filter. I've tried to repair it with Epoxy without great results. The Epoxy doesn't seem to bond well with the plastic.

Question is, do I really need to purchase the entire unit including the multivalve on top?

Also, if anyone else has any reccomendations as to repairing the hole, do share!

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Is it possible to purchase the plastic tank of a Hayward Sand Filter?

I did a quick search and found the tanks. I guess it might depend on the model, but here's a link to some hayward filter parts. The tank is availible, but it's almost as much as a new unit.

http://www.surfsidepoolcompany.com/c...ment_Parts/132

Google is your friend!

Also, as far as repair, you might have better luck repairing from the inside, but I'm not sure as I have never tried it.

Default Re: Is it possible to purchase the plastic tank of a Hayward Sand Filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mwil3 View Post
    I did a quick search and found the tanks. I guess it might depend on the model, but here's a link to some hayward filter parts. The tank is availible, but it's almost as much as a new unit.

http://www.surfsidepoolcompany.com/c...ment_Parts/132

Google is your friend!

Also, as far as repair, you might have better luck repairing from the inside, but I'm not sure as I have never tried it.
    Thanks for taking a look! I've searched this out, but could not find the plastic tank at a reasonable price. And thanks for the advice on fixing from the inside. Might be worth a shot and work better as my current fix is not holding up to the pressure.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Did you use pool epoxy or the quick-set stuff? If you use the pool epoxy, from the inside, and work it through the hole, it should harden into a mushroom shape and the pressure should make it seal better.

Just a thought.

Carl
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Did you use pool epoxy or the quick-set stuff? If you use the pool epoxy, from the inside, and work it through the hole, it should harden into a mushroom shape and the pressure should make it seal better.

Just a thought.

Carl
    Thanks much, Carl. I wasn't aware that there was pool Expoxy. I'll consider that. I was using a version of Lock-Tite Epoxy made specifically for plastic.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yeah, pool epoxy is a putty form of epoxy. I've made some spectacular fixes with putty epoxy, including a car's heater core! It's made for concrete and such, but hardens practically like concrete! It's worth a try and could save you hundreds. If you can't find, go to an autoparts place and get kneadable ribbon epoxy--it's also epoxy putty.

Carl
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread