+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Liner Pulling Away

Default Liner Pulling Away

Hey all, I'm relatively new to swimming pools and have operated this pool for 2 years now with fairly good luck. However this spring when i removed my winter cover I was confronted with a liner that looks like it has pulled away in several spots.

I have done some reading including on this forum about "beaded liners" and how to heat them up and stretch them back into position. I think I understand, but wanted to get some input:

1. what type of liner I have (beaded or not)
    2. any other trick that might be helpful?
    3. should this be something I try myself or best left to professional to prevent things from getting worse?
    4. do i need to drain my pool completely to do this repair?

Thanks for all comments.

Shot at 2011-05-31

Shot at 2011-05-31

Shot at 2011-05-31

Shot at 2011-05-31

Shot at 2011-05-31

Default Re: Liner Pulling Away

additional.
    when i got home i pulled off a cap to expose the bead and track.
    i tried pulling the liner (luckily it has been over 30 degrees Celcius today) up to tuck the bead into the channel but it wouldn't seem to stay.
    does anyone have any tricks to get the bead to stay in the groove as i work my way down the edge? Is there supposed to be a plastic strip or something that goes in to hold the liner?

also, there seems to be a lot of air behind the liner especially in the corners (lots of corners) ... is this something i need to be concerned about?
    should i raise the water level first before fixing the liner in the hopes that the water pressure will force out the air?

any tricks or suggestions would be helpful

Shot at 2011-05-31

Shot at 2011-05-31

posguy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst posguy 0

Im sure others with more experience will chime in...

There is a product called liner lock, it comes in a roll and gets inserted to hold the liner in place. This had happened to me 13 yrs ago when they installed my above ground pool, while filling the liner pulled away, the installers came bac and used this and no more pulling from the track. If you can get it back in and use liner lock you could save a service call.

.http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Liners...es/Liner-Lock/

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like you read A-B-Cs of liner tucks

It shouldn't be too hard for you to get that back in if you follow my advice there. (you can use coins or other material to act as a wedge to keep the liner from popping back out)
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thanks for the comments. I have read your ABCs ... Again thanks. However, is the air or water getting behind the liner an issue? Also, is it best to work on it from inside the pool or hanging over the edge?

Cheers!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Sorry for the delay - last night I had ~1/2 a response typed... and then we lost power GRRR!

Most of the time any air or water that gets behind the liner isn't a problem. What IS a problem is if debris gets into the gap, it will show up as a bump or lump behind the liner, and if it's sharp, could poke a hole in the liner.

I always do it from the deck, but you can get in the pool and do it, if that is easier for you.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

thanks to all that commented.
    The job is done, my thumbs are blistered .... but it's done. What a B$%@H of a job. I used the flexible liner lock and I think without it I would have been calling a concrete company to fill the pool!
    The only problem is that in two spots once i got to the end of the spot putting the liner back in track, due to stretching, i had more liner than track and ended up with a loop of liner sticking out, but better than it was!

Finished the job, then filled the pool, then turned on the pump for the first time and mmmmmmmmmmmm PST! Yup blew breakers - changed plugs, cords, no matter what i tried. Took the pump apart and found it full of needles. Once i cleaned them out, it's working fine.

Now it's all working which leads me to wonder ... what's going to go wrong next?

lol

again, thanks.

With any luck, you've had your problems for this season.

If anything else comes up, ask us and we'll help.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Aedes View Post
    Now it's all working which leads me to wonder ... what's going to go wrong next?

That's a question you never, never, ever ask out loud!!!

Janet
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread