+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inground Pool Main Drain Plumbing

Default Inground Pool Main Drain Plumbing

Good day all,

I found this forum in an effort to get information about my pool. We purchased this home back in '97, and the pool was sitting in the backyard. It was all black and stinky, so my dad drained it and cleaned the gravel that was at the bottom. It is now a functional pool, but the equipment is starting to age. Neighbours told me that the pool was installed back in the '70's, and I'll assume that the equipment is original.

The pump is a Sta-Rite Duraglas 2.5 HP, and the filter is made by Swimquip. It's all very old, but it seems to do the job. As for the skimmer and return jets, they seem to be made by a brand called Jacuzzi, and I think they're defunct now. The main drain is what I came to ask about. I could never figure out how to get a half and half blend of the skimmer and main drain for circulation. To me, it seems that most pools are plumbed like that nowadays. My pool is running full force through the skimmer, and the main drain just sits there. Only one line runs back to the pump, but it seems that the main drain is connected to the skimmer at the bottom. It boggles my mind about how that works. I should also mention that there is a suction leak somewhere, as I can see air bubbles out the returns.

So my plan consists of this. I will disconnect what seems to be the main drain line at the bottom of the skimmer, and run that hose over to the pump, where I will install a 2 way valve. The main drain and skimmer will be connected to this, and the outlet will go to the pump. That way, I can have an even flow from the skimmer and main drain. I want to do this because there is a stagnant area of water at the bottom which doesn't seem to be caught by the skimmer.

Post your comments on my idea. Thanks

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Inground Pool Main Drain Plumbing

Welcome to the Forum!

Having a dedicated main drain and a separate dedicated skimmer line is a GREAT plan! The 3-way valve would let you adjust the flow for vacuuming.

Before replumbing the main drain, have the line pressure tested to be sure you're not just wasting money and time. (there is a chance that the line broke in the past and has been abandoned)
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread