+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using suggested SWCG "tweaking" methods

Cool Using suggested SWCG "tweaking" methods

I just wanted to post a general Thank You to all concerned for all the research leading to these methods. I am 90% finished implementing all the changes and the results have been beyond my expectations in terms of water quality. I just need to lower my TA a little more and increase CYA slightly and I will be done. Adding Borax makes a HUGE difference in water quality alone. (much softer/silkier feel) I have not realized the full impact on the slowing of the rapid P.H. rise as of yet, however, I have seen it slow enough already that I am confident it will slow even more once I am 100% finished with the process. I am easily maintaining a FC of 4.5 with my aquarite set at 30% and a 8 hour pump run time. I expect that this will also improve once I get CYA to the full 80%.

Current numbers for anyone who is interested:

FC 4.5
    PH 7.5
    TA 85
    CA 310
    CYA 70

Water Temp is 88

This is a VERY happy pool owner. The moderators on this forum second to NONE in terms of their knowledge of pool chemistry, maint. etc. Anyone who frequents this forum already knows that. Thanks again!!
    I live in South Florida. I have owned my first pool for 6 years now. 12,200 gal. with exposed aggregate finish, spa with spill over, cartridge filter, pop up bottom cleaning jets, Chlorine by swg. I am eternally grateful for The Pool Forum!!

15'x30' Rectangle w/ ovals at ends 12.2K gal IG pool; Bleach now as SWCG died.; Hayward 1200 cartridge filter; Emerson 2HP pump; 6hrs; Taylor K-2006 La Motte Borate Test Strips; utility; summer: ; winter: ; iPad; PF:9.8

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Using suggested SWCG "tweaking" methods

Remember: all you have to do is lower pH to 7.0-7.2 and TA will come down. Aerate to raise pH without raising TA. I believe the ideal TA for SWCGs is 60-80 and the ideal CYA depends on what the SWCG manufacturer calls for.
    However, you are probably within 10% of the manufacturer's range so add very little CYA and very slowly so you don't overshoot.
    Chem_Geek reminds us that with an SWCG, the minimum FC level should be 5% of CYA (and you easily meet that).

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Carl
    Carl

Default Re: Using suggested SWCG "tweaking" methods

Maybe I will just leave CYA alone for now. I missed Chem Geeks little nugget, CL as % of CYA. It really simplifies the relationship. I love this stuff!! I live in So. Fl. so I am considering starting a pool maintenance business and building it slowly, over time so as to offer the best possible service that I can. I want to set myself apart from all the run of the mill pool services out there. Who knows, eventually I may even reach "Pool Geek" status! : )
    I live in South Florida. I have owned my first pool for 6 years now. 12,200 gal. with exposed aggregate finish, spa with spill over, cartridge filter, pop up bottom cleaning jets, Chlorine by swg. I am eternally grateful for The Pool Forum!!

15'x30' Rectangle w/ ovals at ends 12.2K gal IG pool; Bleach now as SWCG died.; Hayward 1200 cartridge filter; Emerson 2HP pump; 6hrs; Taylor K-2006 La Motte Borate Test Strips; utility; summer: ; winter: ; iPad; PF:9.8

+ Reply to Thread