+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My dogs are drinking water from the pool

Default My dogs are drinking water from the pool

My dogs are drinking water from the pool which is saltwater. There is a bowl of freshwater near by but still they lap up water from the pool. Is this something I should worry about? Will doing this casue any long term health issue for them?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: My dogs are drinking water from the pool

When it comes to stuff like that, dogs and cats are idiots. I've seen mine bypass fresh, cool water for stale, gross rainwater that's been sitting for several days.
    Without knowing all the levels in your pool it's hard to know, but it is best to keep them away from it. Of course, this may sound cold, but if they are older dogs, nearing the end of their span, you may want to just let them enjoy themselves.

Just remember: Dogs and cats are permanent residents. They live their entire lives out with us. Children are long term guests. They move out and on...hopefully!

(as the father of 2 boys, and servant of 2 dogs and a cat who thinks he's a dog)

Carl
    Carl

My tap water comes with 3ppm chlorine from the city so the chlorine is probably fine (my city thinks so anyway). 3000ppm salt is probably not the end of the world either, I bet their dog food has more sodium than that by a mile.

Thanks for the advise. Salt in their foods is probably higher and they are long term residents...

We had an outdoor cat live to 16 who drank from our pool all summer long. I'm not saying it's fine, but everything seems to drink from my pool. Raccoons are the worst, they wash their muddy paws first. We had Muskrats move in once. They seemed fine, nothing we did convinced them to leave until our cat (the one mentioned above) got one. He was a great cat, not a nice cat, actually kind of dangerous, but he single handedly kept things in balance. In the warmer months he would eat 10-12 critters a day. Frogs were his very favorite thing. And how many cats can kill a Muskrat? Sorry to ramble, I miss the crazy ultra-violent guy to this day.
    33,000ish gallon, 20X40 IG Vinyl Liner, no heater. Full sun, Sand filter. Been pool stored more times than I can count, not anymore! Thanks PF!

20'x40' rectangle 33K gal IG pool; Bleach; Hayward sand filter; AO Smith 1HP pump; 14hrs; Taylor K2006; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; iPhone; PF:3.6

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

As long as he was smart enough to stay away from the raccoons. They look cute but can kill a dog (and I don't mean a purse puppy!)

Carl
    Carl

Hi Carl, believe it or not, he routinely attacked Raccoons. He would engage them in the driveway when he heard one of our cars coming. When the headlights hit the Raccoons they would turn to run and give him their back. He took it. He would tear into them for a second and run. He attacked everything. Dogs, a plumber (who screamed devil cat all the way down the driveway) our housepainter (even after being warned that this was not a pet). He attacked invading Toms without puffing up. Weird, it freaked them out completely. He wouldn't posture at all, just go right up and get busy. Now the property is all happy valley, Robins and bunnies and rainbows.
    33,000ish gallon, 20X40 IG Vinyl Liner, no heater. Full sun, Sand filter. Been pool stored more times than I can count, not anymore! Thanks PF!

20'x40' rectangle 33K gal IG pool; Bleach; Hayward sand filter; AO Smith 1HP pump; 14hrs; Taylor K2006; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; iPhone; PF:3.6

Yeah, I had a little tortie who was terror on mice, chipmunks and squirrels, but she wouldn't take on a raccoon. Our Belgian Terv would...I so her go down a chuck hole after a ground hog. I heard a scream and her nose came out bloody--but it wasn't her screaming. He just got her fire going and she was just getting warmed up...had to drag her out of there. Only two things in the world scared her: Thunder and German Shepherds. Not Akitas, or Dobermans or even Irish Wolfhounds, just German Shepherds (A big male nearly killed her once for no good reason, a 150lb monster. It's very rare for male dogs to attack females).

The tortie and the Terv ended up best friends, sleeping together, going on walks together.

Carl
    Carl

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

my dog drinks ocean water! salt won't hurt them, especially not the level in a SWCG pool. mine will sometimes get the runs after an ocean swim- and then we make sure she has plenty fresh water afterward to prevent dehydration/heat exhaustion (happened last year, if it happens again I think I'll use the gun on my wife and get the dog fixed! lol)

16 years of pool drinking dogs here.

Only lost one - he slipped into the cover water one December.

+ Reply to Thread