+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Green Pool / Swamp complete with frogs...

Default Green Pool / Swamp complete with frogs...

My husband are newbies to pool care. We put a new liner and water into our pool last September and ran the filter and treated the pool through the fall and winter. (We plan to buy a cover this year.) We'd had our water tested by the pool people and added the appropriate chemicals. They said that it was in pretty good shape overall. After adding everything, our pool water was still cloudy.

We went on vacation for about 10 days and when we came back our pool was green and stagnant. The filters baskets were full of algae and I removed about 2 dozen frogs. Ewwww..... I cleaned the baskets, brushed down the sides of the pool and added 7 bags of shock. We have a 30,000+ gallon pool that we have been chlorinating with tabs. I read on here that I need to start adding bleach, but how much do I need to add? What kind of pool testing kit/strips do you recommend.

We are very new to this, but are really tired of lining the pockets of the pool people.... Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-26-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: fix subject

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Jennifer's Thread- Green Pool / Swamp complete with frogs...

Hi Jen;

1) Get a Taylor K2006 or 2006C from links below -- only order from Amazon seller "Amato Ind"; others may not be selling K2006.
    2) See if your pool people can test your pool for you, now. Post results if you have them.
    3) Do NOT used bagged shock -- these days it's usually a hobo stew of chemicals, most of which you don't need.
    4) If you can't test a test otherwise, get a cheap OTO / phenol red kit (Walmart or whatever) and test with that.
    5) Report results.
    6) Meanwhile, add 5 gallons of bleach to your pool each evening, till you know more.

Ben

Thank you.

OK, I will try and get it analyzed today or tomorrow. I've ordered the kit and CANNOT wait to get it so I will no longer be dependent on the pool people. =)

I will add that we have a vinyl liner and a sand filter and we changed the sand out about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

OK, I had to use the testing strips, but my results are MUCH different from before I added the pool company's chemicals- 29 lb Balance Pack 100, 1 pt muriatic acid, 4 bags burnout. Since then I have also had to add 7 additional bags of shock and the Bioguard Algae maintenance.

Before- according to the pool people:
    CYA 36
    Total Chlorine 1.1
    Free Chlorine 1.1
    ph 7.2
    Total Alkalinity 90
    Adj Total Alkalinity 79

My results today with the test strips:
    alkalinity appears to be in the 180 range
    ph is around 7.6
    free chlorine is 0
    bromine 2

Our pool is still green, but it is more of a cloudy green than a slimy green now. We are going to start adding the 5 gallons of chlorine tonight. Do you dilute it with water first or just pour it in?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Thanks Watermom.

OK, according to the test strips, my free chlorine level is between 1 and 2 now after adding 5 gallons of bleach last night. I will test again later this afternoon. That's good that it stayed up overnight, right???

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

5 gallons of bleach would have taken a 30K gallon pool up to a chlorine level of about 10 ppm. The fact that it's now 1 or 2 says that you still have a huge chlorine demand and need to get the chlorine level up and keep it up. With your CYA around 40 ppm, you need to get your chorine level up to 15 or higher, and maintain that until the pool clears up. If you don't ever get it that high, it's not going to clear. I don't know what Bioguard Algae Maintenance is, but you don't need it in your pool--you need chlorine!

Janet
    Janet

Ok, we loaded her up with chlorine again last night and 1 hour later I got a 10+ reading with the test strips and the ph was holding strong.

This morning chlorine was closer to 5 with ph down from 7.6 to 7.4. The pool doesn't look any clearer. I'm going to vacuum to waste and brush again today.

Should I add more chorine again this morning, continue checking throughout the day and then add more again tonight if the levels have still dropped?

Thanks for all of the help!
    Old pool/ new owner =)
    32,600 gallon chlorine, inground, vinyl lined pool with deep end.
    Pump: Haywood 1.5 hp
    Filter: 300# sand filter.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread