Closed Thread

Thread: Air Bubbles in Return Lines

Default Air Bubbles in Return Lines

After a number of successful years of self-taught self maintenance, have come through this WI winter with a problem - air bubbles in two of the three return lines. Have tightened down all the connections, etc., and haven't found a great thread on diagnosing the problem.

The only thing besides winterization is that I did accidentally break one pipe in the manifold of the suction section which has 3 pipes merging into the pump inlet. Due to constraints, I had to downsize to 1 inch pvc in this section, where it's 1.5 coming out of the ground. Not sure if that's doing it.

Also was struggling with why only 2 of the three lines are showing bubbles. on the return lines, there are two lines coming out of the heater back into the ground, so logically maybe its the one line that feeds the two return jets. However I have a hard time figuring out how air would be introduced at tthat point.

I've teflon taped the entire room...

Appreciate any ideas....

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Air Bubbles in Return Lines

Air bubbles in your returns ALWAYS, ALWAYS means a suction leak. Unless your pool has piping several feet in elevation ABOVE the pool, and large return lines, a suction leak is ALWAYS on the suction side of the pump.

Silicone caulk, not teflon tape, is the 'down and dirty' quick fix in many cases. But often the problem is the pump strainer lid gasket.

Ben
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-12-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: emphasize answer

Default Re: Air Bubbles in Return Lines

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Air bubbles in your returns ALWAYS, ALWAYS means a suction leak. Unless your pool has piping several feet in elevation ABOVE the pool, and large return lines, a suction leak is ALWAYS on the suction side of the pump.

Silicone caulk, not teflon tape, is the 'down and dirty' quick fix in many cases. But often the problem is the pump strainer lid gasket.

Ben

As Ben noted, the pump strainer basket has always been the culprit for me with bubbles. Many times the o-ring just needs lubed.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-12-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: emphasize answer

Closed Thread