+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward Viper help

Hybrid View

Default Hayward Viper help

I have a Hayward Viper (Model 5500 bought in early 2004). Last year I had a problem where it would keep spinning in circles (stuck in "turnout" mode). I found the check valve was cracked so I replaced it; problem solved.

This year, after running normally for awhile, it will get stuck in "turnout" mode, just spinning in circles like it did last year. I took a look at the check valve, but I can't see anything wrong with it. I opened up the manifold and cleaned it out thinking perhaps that it was getting stuck in the "turnout" position, but that didn't seem to help. I checked the cam gearbox, no problem there (the cam is turning normally).

I thought I might just go ahead and replace the manifold (part #AX5500MA) and check valve ( part #AX5000CVA), but I've discovered that Hayward changed the manifold design in mid 2004, and according to at least one website, the new manifold (part #AX5500MA3V) won't work in my earlier Viper model.

Any ideas what might be causing the problem? Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated. I'm really hoping to avoid having to get a new one ($$$) if i can fix my Viper.

Post Re: Hayward Viper help

No one have a Viper? Anyone???

Default Re: Hayward Viper help

Hmmm......no responses.

I do see there have been over 100 views, so I'll go ahead and post what I've done since my last post that seem to help; maybe it will help someone reading this.

Since I couldn't find anything wrong with the internal parts of the Viper, I thought perhaps it wasn't getting quite enough pressure to ensure the piston in the manifold wouldn't stick in the spin out position. I checked the hose and found one of the swivels was leaking. I replaced the swivels and that seemed to solve the problem. However, the Viper still seemed just a little sluggish. I checked the pressure, and sure enough it was a little low; about 21lbs (should be 25-30lbs). I suspect with the leaky swivel, it was a little lower. I removed the Automatic Flow Regulator in the Wall Quick Connect as suggested in the owner's manual, but this raised the pressure to about 34lbs. I'm not sure how "automatic" the Flow Regulator is since it's just a star shaped piece of plastic that just seems to restrict flow by a set amount. I modified it by cutting off some of the points on the star shape piece and was able to raise the pressure at the cleaner to about 28lbs. Now my Viper seems to be operating normally again.

I hope this thread helps someone out there.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Hayward Viper help

I'm sorry you didn't get any replies. But, thanks for coming back and sharing what you have learned. That is one of the things that is great about this forum! Thanks for taking the time to do so!

+ Reply to Thread