+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing sand in my sand filter?

Default Replacing sand in my sand filter?

My Hayward s244t sand filter is about 5 years old. I just moved into this house so it is my first year with a pool. My question is... I vaccum the pool and sand is still in my pool.

If I replace my sand will that might stop the sand leaking back into my pool? I thought I read on the Hayward website that sand breaks down after 3-5 years (gets smaller) and it may leak back into your pool.

Has anybody replaced your sand and noticed it stopped leaking back into your pool?

Thanks,

Steve

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Replacing sand in my sand filter?

You should not need to replace your sand. Many of us have had the same sand for way more than 5 years and it is fine. What is the size of your pump and filter?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Two things come to mind:
    1) Your "tree" inside your filter is damaged and allowing the sand to push through (looks like an upside umbrella under the sand)
    2) Your pump is too powerful for your filter and is pushing the sand through. This can lead to ...1)

You may have to empty the sand to examine the insides, which are replaceable. But if the pump is too powerful for the filter, then in 5 years you'll have the same problem.
    IF that's the case, then you can
    A) get a bigger filter
    B) get a smaller pump
    C) get a reduced-size impeller installed in the pump to reduce flow. This may be the least expensive alternative.

But that presumes the pump is too big for the filter. (That means it pumps more gallons per minute than the filter is rated to accept).

Carl
    Carl

I have a Hayward s244t sand filter. My pool is 22,000 gallon. I have Hayward pump HP1 Amps 15.0/7.5 HZ 60 Volts 115/230. After chechking some websites...It seems that the pump is just the right amount size.

I believe it is the lateral. I have a top mount sand filter. I am kinda scared to examine the laterals because of the pipes. Do I cut them or what? I am not sure what to do...I check for some videos on this but can not find a top mount...only the side mount. My question is do I cut the pipes or pull/unscrew them and reassemble when I am done?

thanks,

Steve

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I assume the pipes you are talking about cutting are the external pipes to/from the valve. If so the you will have to cut them to pull the valve off to access the inside of the tank. Once you get the valve off and the filter drained of water it's just a PITA with a shop-vac to get the sand out. The laterals will fold like an umbrella so the whole assembly can be removed out the top and inspected. As for sand getting finer, only in geological time...sort of. Yes it does get beat up a little but that shouldn't be the problem. My filter and pump are the same combo as yours and my sand is 11 years old or so and no problems other than I should dump in more next time the top is off because of backwash loss over the years.
    When you reassemble the pipes you can use couplings that can be taken apart (Home Depot etc) or I use straight auto radiator hose pieces slipped over the 1.5" PVC pipe and held with hose clamps. Works great and lets things move a little and cuts down in transmitter noise. I think the hose comes in 3 foot sections, maybe 2 foot, and is available at good auto stores in various diameters. I say use the cheaper stuff because some of the really tough stuff is expensive. Even the cheap stuff is designed for high pressure and high temps so you'll be OK. Also the cheaper stuff is thinner and easier to work with when slipping it on and off the pipes. You can leave about a 3-4" gap between pipe ends and slip the hose on. Make sure is overlaps the pipe end by at least an inch, more is better.
    Al

+ Reply to Thread