+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Steps - Switching from Baquacil to Chlorine

Question Steps - Switching from Baquacil to Chlorine

Like so many others I’m used Baquacil (for 2 seasons at our house here in middle TN) and I’m ready to switch to chlorine – as part of ‘pool start-up’ for this season. However, I do have a few questions in order to move forward in the process – and after reading several of the postings on this forum (and some others as well), all of which have been very informative to me personally (I’m not a long term pool owner)!

We have an in-ground pool of ~ 20,000 gallons in size (with the cover still on due to rainy & cold spring weather) and the test results from the local pool supply / builder (as of today May 20th) is as follows:
    Baq. = 0, pH = 7.08, Alk = 1, Shock = 3, and a water temp. of 62 degrees.

Additionally, as of this p.m., I’ve purchased a Taylor 2006 tester in order to better monitor the change over to chlorine – and hopefully on to a chlorinator system at a later date. But…first things 1st, I’d like some recommendations with the steps in order to open / start-up the pool using chlorine – given that the cover is still on the pool, no pump / water circulation thus far, and looking kind of scummy on the bottom & sides?

With the current Baq. level at (or near) zero, and the pH at 7.08, my best guess is that 1st - I need to clean and vacuum the pool utilizing the sand filter, 2nd – change the sand within the filter, 3rd – add some amount of stabilizer, 4th - start adding chlorine (in the form of bleach) in order to obtain a FC level of ~ 1ppm, - all the while making checking / making sure the pH level is maintained ~7.0 (or slighter higher), followed by raising the Alk level (based on the type of chlorine to be used long term).

But, like I said prior, this is only my best guess – so any and all inputs would be welcomed!
    Gene

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Steps - Switching from Baquacil to Chlorine

The guide at the following link outlines the procedure for converting. You made a good decision to buy a good test kit. That is going to make the process much easier! Keep us posted how things are going and let us know if you have additional questions. Read some of the other posts in the Baquacil section of the forum (or Baquagoop as we like to call it) and also take some pictures to document the conversion. You are going to be so glad you converted once the process is finished!

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/conv...-chlorine.html

Watermom,
    Thank you for your response! I have read many of the guides, and have printed a few so as to add my notes, but I do need to read some in the Baquacil section. Taking some pictures is a very good idea and I will keep you posted. Did you have any comments / concerns with regard to the steps I was suggesting?

GeneNTN

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I wouldn't bother with cleaning the pool yet and especially not changing the sand. I'd just start adding bleach. You say that your Baq. level is at zero or close, but you may find out that you do still have a little more in there than you think. When you add the bleach, you'll find out. It may turn some funky shades of green. After you are able to hold a chlorine level overnight and the pool water remains clear, then is the time to change out the sand. Wait to vac until you see if your pool does turn green. No sense in wasting water. Keep us posted with progress.

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

second what watermom said- don't change your sand until after you get a clear pool, the residual baquacil can cause you to have to change again!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yeah, you'll need to change the sand when it's all done, no choice in the matter, but it's a total waste of time and money to do it before.

Filter Sand is usually pretty cheap. A lot of the stores in my area regularly put it on sale for $5-$7 per 50lbs.

Carl
    Carl

madwil & CarlD (and all others!),
    Your feedback is greatly appreciated – changing of the filter sand will be delayed until after a stable FC level (overnight) has been established. Sand in our area is $10-13 / 50 lb bag – as the local choices are very limited! Once the test kit arrives ~Tuesday (I hope), I’ll start dumping the bleach into the pool. Have a great day!
    Gene

Finally - an update!

After several days of very heavy rain showers - and more scheduled for later tonight, I un-covered / our pool, the water level was ~3-4” high, proceeded to start the circulation pump, brushed the pool walls & bottom, and cleaned some of the floating debris. And, took some pictures!

With my new Taylor K-2006 test kit in hand, the following readings were completed (or at least attempted!).
    FC - 0 (did not turn pink!)
    PH – 7.6
    TA ~ 50 (purple instead of red, biquanide is assumed)
    CH ~ 60 (purple color once again, 2nd on 2nd test the Hardness Agent was added 1st, but turned very light blue after the R0016 reagent was added, assumed 6 x 10 =60?).

Added 10 gal. of chlorine bleach (6%) - in order to proceed with the changing from Baquacil to Chlorine – and the water soon begun to take on a whole new nature (brownish green?)! So the water / pictures in the a.m. should really be interesting!

Should I re-test later tomorrow evening or just add the next batch of bleach?

Like always, any and all thoughts are welcomed!
    Gene

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

I would test for FC and add bleach as often as possible- add enough to get FC to 15, keep adding (hourly isn't to often) however often you can until the pool holds the FC, then continue your conversion.
    The more frequently you add the bleach, the faster the process will go- it's just like shocking the pool to get rid of algae, your just "killing" the chemicals from Baqua instead of a plant!

Switching from Baquacil to Chlorine
    Friday, May 27, 2011
    As of 7 p.m. our pool has a cloudy bluish color (can not see the bottom in the shallow end), along with some floating matter and a smell of chlorine (from the dead junk still in the water?). However, not as bad as I originally expected, especially after only one 10 gallon dose of sodium hypochlorite (6%). Throughout the day today I did brush the sides and bottom of the pool – but I have NOT added any other additives! The test results for this evening are as follows:

Water temp = 68 degrees
    FC = 20 ppm
    CC = 10 ppm
    pH = 7.0 (low)
    TA = 50 ppm
    CH = 40 ppm

My best guess would be to raise the pH level first by adding 2.0 – 2.2 lbs of Sodium Carbonate (Borax), via a sock in the strainer. However, I not sure if the high CC level should be addressed as well? The TA & CH could be increased once the pH has been raised.

A secondary question, is it possible that with a FC = 20ppm (24 hrs after the first dosage) has our pool for the most part already completed the transition from Baquacil to chlorine? From what I have read, this seems unlikely to me? But if this is fact true, when should we consider changing the filter sand, etc.?

In advance – “thank you” for taking your time to read and answer my concerns!
    Gene
    PS – A Great Weekend to everyone & and please take time on Memorial Day to remember all of our military – Past & Present!
    PSS – I have some progress pictures of our pool, but not yet allowed to post any attachments. However, I could send them to you privately if anyone is interested?

+ Reply to Thread