+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Steps - Switching from Baquacil to Chlorine

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

Default Re: Steps - Switching from Baquacil to Chlorine

if the color comes back after the delay, I think that's the reagent beginning to react with CC- the reason why OTO only gives TC...
    You do not have to go back and add addtional 0781- just continue the test as you have been doing. I do not know of any better way- Chemgeek or Waste may...

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

That IS confusing. What you do is test the water sample for FC using 0870 powder and 0871 drops. Then TO THAT SAME SAMPLE add the R-0003, 5 drops. The water should turn clear if there's no CC, pink or red if there's some CC. Now use the 0871 drops AGAIN until the water goes clear to measure CC.

That's it!

Carl
    Carl

Madwil & Carl,
    I follow the Taylor instructions per the letter – and do not repeat any of the previous steps. I guess an answer would be to use a 25ml water sample to begin with, which in turn would provide a 0.2ppm / drop of R0871 when testing for ‘lower levels’ (<= 0.5ppm) of CC. However, I will have to wait on my order of reagents (R0871 in particular) to try this method. I’m sorry if my previous posting was not real clear? Thank you and have a great day!
    Gene

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

sorry if I was confusing- yes, you have to use the 25ml sample for the FC test, to get .2ppm results on CC (after completing the FC test)
    I think that for most people, getting .2ppm results is probably not necessary- curiosity maybe, or chemgeek when experimenting for science...
    But for me, <.5 is good enough on the CC, and my FC stays above 5 normally so not going to use that many drops to get it to .2 accuracy!

Madwil,
    I agree, and for a newbie like myself – not seeing any additional decrease in the CC reading, and not real sure just how low it should eventually read, I was simply looking for a better way to test the CC. In my opinion, the 10 hr / overnight numbers are the most telling for both the FC (loosing <= 1ppm) and the CC at <= 0.5.

Gene
    PS – I put the Polaris into the pool to help the skimmer sock clean-up a lot of the very fine debris – and together they are doing a great job! The pool water continues to clear very nicely (look wise). Many “thanks” for all your help!

Smile Re: Steps - Switching from Baquacil to Chlorine

Thursday, June 2nd 6:45 a.m. (Day 8)
    Throughout the day on Wednesday the FC level was keep elevated by adding multiple dosages of chlorine (bleach 6%) based on the records from the prior 2 days – with only 1 water test was completed (8:30 p.m.).

The pool looks crystal clear Thursday a.m., with only a slight amount of noticeable debris on the bottom – mostly in the shallow end? The Polaris has managed to pickup most of the courser waste material – and the skimmer sock continues to clean up the usually Baquacil gook! Test results as of today;

WT = 81 deg.
    FC = 20 (~ same as 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday)
    CC = 0.5ppm
    pH = 7.6
    Pump Pressure = 26lbs

Based on the above test numbers, and primarily with the CC <= 0.5 ppm, I decided to start the process of changing out the filter sand today – preceded by brushing, raising the water level, vacuuming, and taking a few photos as well.

Many “Thank You” to all of you on the PoolForum who have taken your time to respond to my posting – your comments, advice, and guidance is always appreciated,
    Gene

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Thursday, June 2nd 6:30 p.m.

Watermom - you are "very welcomed"!

Changing the sand within the filter went OK, what a mess!, and it took longer then thought it would. Backwashed & rinsed, restated circulation at 4:30 p.m. – with some visible sand later in the pool? - not sure why?

The following readings were taken at 6:30 p.m. (2 hrs after re-starting pump)
    WT = 83 deg.
    FC = 0.5 ppm (really low based on the reading this a.m.?)
    CC <= 0.5 ppm
    pH = 7.1
    TA = 45
    CH = did not test
    CYA = did not test

With the pH at borderline low, I will add the following;
    pH - 7:30 p.m., add 1 lb of soda ash (Borax)
    TA – 9:00 p.m., add 2 lbs of baking soda (A&H)
    FC – 10:30 p.m., add 1.42 gal of chlorine (bleach 6%)

Plans for early a.m. on Friday include 1) vacuum sand from bottom of pool, 2) complete a comprehensive water test, and 3) almost certainly add 1-2 lbs of stabilizer / conditioner (via sock in strainer).

Any and all comments with regard to correct steps to balance our pool, now that the BaquaGoo is finally gone, would greatly appreciated and “Thank you”
    Gene

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Gene,
    Since this original thread is in the Baquagoop forum and you have finished your conversion, I'm going to suggest that you copy and paste your most recent post and start a new thread in a more appropriate forum. This thread is really long and it will just make it easier for all involved. Besides, there are some people who never look at the threads in the baq. forum so you'll get more viewings in a different section than you will in this one. After I see that you have, I'll delete this last post and lock this thread so people don't start responding to it here.

Thanks.

Please do not add any further posts to this thread. Gene is going to start a new thread in a different section of the forum. Thanks. Watermom

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

pictures posted of a relatively easy conversion.

EDIT by Watermom: The pics Ben added today are in post #24.
    Last edited by Watermom; 07-13-2011 at 10:34 AM.

+ Reply to Thread