+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Steps - Switching from Baquacil to Chlorine

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Steps - Switching from Baquacil to Chlorine

Hi Gene,

You can raise the pH if you want to, but I wouldn't worry about anything other than chlorine for now, provided the pH is over 7.0. Your pool isn't over the "hump" yet, as evidenced by the CC reading--that's the chlorine in the water that's trying to kill off the Baq. As you keep your free chlorine levels up, the CC will gradually decrease as the chlorine burns it all off. When the CC is zero, the pool is clear, and you're not losing more than 1 ppm of chlorine when testing at sundown and again at sunup, THEN it's time to change out your sand.

Janet
    Janet

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Janet,
    Thank you for your welcomed response! However, I have tell a story on myself – the FC & CC levels I last reported were in ERROR! I mistakenly multiplied the # of drops by the 10 ml water sample vs the 0.2 ppm, so the real numbers were FC = 0.4 ppm and the CC = 0.2 ppm. However, I did not add any dosages last evening – which may be good in some respect (except for the time loss to rid the pool of Baquacil).

Test results this a.m.
    Water temp = 67 deg.
    FC = 0 ppm
    CC = 1.0 ppm
    pH = 7.4

With the pH now reading OK (and I’m not quite sure why?) and CC = 1 ppm, using Table A (from the Taylor’s Testing & Treatment Guide), I’ve added 3 gallons of chlorine bleach (6%). My guess is that this should raise TC ~ 9 ppm – and disregarding the negative effects of the sub light / UV rays today, this will reduce the 1 ppm CC without leaving a residual high level of FC. My plans are to retest in 6-8 hrs to see how my theory is working.

Additionally, I also appreciate your recommendations as to when to change the filter sand, etc.

As always – “thank you” for taking your time to read and answer my concerns!

Gene

Correction: I added 3 jugs at 1.42 gallon each for a total of 4.26 gallons of bleach (6%). Thank you for your understanding! -Gene

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1) Sodium carbonate = soda ash = washing soda = "pH UP", etc.
    Borax = sodium tetraborate penta-(or deca-)hydrate = 20 Mule Team borax = Proteam "Supreme" = BioGuard "Optimizer"

Use borax to raise your pH, adding 1 box at a time into your skimmer with the pump running and the skimmer basket in place.

2) You've completed your conversion when
    + your chlorine level is stable overnight; &
    + your TC is at least 5x your CC; &
    + your pool is clear, blue, and has been that way for at least 2 days.

3) Mail pictures to poolforum AT gmail DOT com; I'll upload them to the PoolForum Picasa album. (I'm tired of the vBulletin software de-linking all the attachments every time I upgrade.)

Hope this helps

Ben / PoolDoc

Saturday, May 28, 2011
    Posted a correction with respect to the 3 4.26 gallons chlorine bleach I added…
    Saturday ~7:00 p.m., May 28, 2011
    Our pool water continues to clear, as we can readily see the bottom in the shallow end, with lots of debris on the bottom. However, since my last posting this a.m. – there are some surprises (to a newbie like me anyways)! The weather here today was sunny and warn, high in the upper 80s.

Pump pressure = 22 lbs (originally ~18 lbs)
    FC = 0.2 ppm
    CC = 0.8 ppm
    pH = 7.2, and
    TA = 40 ppm

Surprise! The 4.3 gal. of chlorine (bleach 6%) I added this a.m. has been totally consumed (based on the test results above) – but the pH did decrease 0.2 ppm (for which I haven’t a clue?

The good news is that the CC did drop from 1.0 ppm to 0.8 ppm today – maybe some progress after all. With the FC level still very low – even with the dosage this a.m., some good news is better then none!

So…I will add another 5.7 gal. of chlorine (bleach 6%) this p.m. and test once again in the a.m. tomorrow - Sunday.
    Many “thanks” to everyone & and a Blessed Sunday to all!
    Gene
    PS – Should the dosages of chlorine (bleach 6%) be increased even though the CC levels are on the lower side?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Sunday ~8:45 a.m., May 29, 2011 (Day 4)

Our pool looks about the same as last evening – bluish in color with lots of settled debris, and some signs of seeing the bottom in the deep end. However, the water sample does have a smell of chlorine.

Water temp = 70 deg.
    FC = 8.4
    CC = 1.4 (5 x 1.4 = 7.0 good!)
    pH = 7.5
    TA = 50

I’m not quite sure as to why the CC level has risen – other then an error in the testing process?

My best guess is that I need to add 4.3 gal. of chlorine (bleach 6%) this a.m. (in order to keep the FC level elevated throughout today), then test / adjust the chlorine levels later this evening in order to determine if the FC level remains stable overnight (or maintains a 5:1 ratio with CC).

Many “thanks” for all of the helpful recommendations I have received from the PoolForum, especially the latest from both Ben & Watermom,

Gene
    PS – I will backflush this a.m. in hopes of reducing the pump pressure.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The chlorine you are smelling is the combined chlorine (CC). Go ahead and hit with bleach again this morning if you haven't already done so. An hour or so after you do so, test and see what kind of chlorine numbers you are achieving. Also, *if* there is any debris that can be scooped out, go ahead and remove it.

First – Many thanks for your response Watermom!
    The following 2 entries comprise my latest post to the PoolForum.

Sunday ~1:45 p.m. , May 29, 2011 (Day 4)

I can actually see the deep end of the pool – with lots of dead matter (I assume) laying on the bottom all over the pool! Water tests were as follows:

FC = 0.2 – 0.5 ppm (way down from just 4 hrs ago!)
    CC 1.5 ppm
    pH = 7.2
    Pump pressure ~ 19lbs (after back flushing)

I DID NOT add the 4.3 gal. of chlorine (bleach 6%) earlier today – our local WalMart was out of stock (and it was time for church)!

The FC is really a lot lower then just ~4 hrs ago! I tried both 10ml & 25ml water sample for the chlorine testing, with only a slight difference in the nos. (which I would guess is to be expected).

By not adding the additional chlorine (bleach 6%) earlier today the overall conversion process has probably once again been delayed – bummer! Plans are to now add 7.1 gal. of chlorine (bleach 6%) in order to make-up for some lost time & the low FC level!
    Sunday ~ 7 p.m. , May 29, 2011 (Day 4)

Our pool water is clear with a bluish tint (liner, sky, etc.), and you can see the main drain in the deep end. However, there is a lot of foreign matter on the bottom of the pool – and the water it’s self has a chlorine and/or bleach smell.

Water temp = 75 deg.
    FC = 7.5 ppm
    CC = 1.5 ppm (5 x 1.5 = 7.5, OK)
    pH = 7.2

Two things come to mind, 1) I really messed up by not adding the chlorine (bleach 6%) this morning (like I said I was going to do!), and 2) with the much warmer & sunnier days, I should have been adding stabilizer 90% / conditioner to the pool water – the sun / UV is just killing the FC! So…I’ll retest in the a.m. (Monday), and go from there! Have a Great Memorial Day - and enjoy your USA Freedom!

Gene
    PS – Does anyone have a recommendation as to a ‘brand name to buy’ for the stabilizer 90% / conditioner (cyanaric or isocyanuric acid)? Which may only be available from pool store? I should have ordered this product when I ordered the test kit (date wise)!

If you can, I'd wait a bit to add the CYA. Maybe you don't work tomorrow since it is Memorial Day and will have time to test it and add bleach every couple of hours? The more often you do it, the faster you'll get the conversion over with. I would also suggest taking the FC a little higher. Since the high cl reading isn't going to stick around long, it isn't going to be a concern about hurting your liner. Go ahead and take it on up to about 10. A couple hours later when you test, take it back up to 10, repeat, repeat, repeat. We have had people in the past who have gotten through their conversion quickly because of how often they added bleach.

We usually suggest getting a pool cleared up before adding CYA. As far as what brand to buy, I doubt it matters. As long as you buy cyanuric (or isocyanuric) acid, it will be fine.

Watermom,
    “Thank you” for your response with regard to the CC odor, as well as the time frame as to when I should be concerned with the CYA level. The settled debris is too fine to scoop out, maybe spring pollen or just plain old dirt from over the past winter / spring months? Additionally, I’m working on increasing / keeping the FC level much higher (~10) then it has been recently. Missing the chlorine dosage yesterday morning did not help matters!

As of this a.m. our pool looks cleaner, including the deep end, except for the all of the debris settled on the bottom. The water sample had a slight odor / smell, and the early test results are as follows:

Water temp = 74 deg.
    FC = 5.0 ppm
    CC = 1.5 ppm
    pH = 7.2

With the FC dropping over night by 2.5 ppm, and the ratio <5 when compared to CC, I added another 4.34 gal. of chlorine (bleach 6%). My plans today are to re-check the chlorine levels ever 2-3 hrs.

“Thank you” (and everyone) for taking your time to read and to share your experience!
    Gene

+ Reply to Thread