+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is CYA the same as Trichloro-s-Triazinetrione tablest?

Default Re: Is CYA the same as Trichloro-s-Triazinetrione tablest?

OK, found the cyanuric acid (aka: Stabilizer & Conditioner by hth). So I now have two 4lb bottles. Do I just fill a floater and drop in in the pool? If my floater is busted can I just hang a sock full of this stuff over the edge?

Thanks for the great guidance!
    herb

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You can either put some in a sock and hang the sock in front of a return jet or pour it slowly into the skimmer and let it dissolve in the filter which is what I usually do. If you do put it into the skimmer, don't backwash for about a week to give it time to dissolve completely or else you'll just lose it. Do NOT broadcast it across the pool, however, like some labels suggest that you do. You don't want acid granules sitting on your liner.

The sock has been hanging since last night with about 3lbs of granular cyanuric acid. Water is clear (yeah no green!) My current readings are:
    FC - 6
    CC - 1
    pH - 7.0
    TA - 110
    CH - 240 (calcium hardness)
    CYA - 0

What to do next? Add Borax and plenty more of the cyanuric acid? How long should it take to see the CYA present? More bleach too?
    Again, I'm working with a 25,000 gal./ 30 yr old gunite pool

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Go ahead and add enough bleach to get back up to 10 since you have a CC reading of 1. ( You want the CC to be zero.) In a 25K pool, each quart of 6% bleach will raise the chlorine level by about 0.6ppm. You want to test and add bleach at least twice per day and probably 3x if you can and each time add enough bleach to get back up to 10ppm. Do this until you can go from sundown one day to sunup the next day without losing more than 1ppm of cl.

You probably still have most of the CYA in the sock. Keep it in front of the return jet and give it a squeeze a couple of times a day to help it dissolve faster. Don't test for it or add more CYA until about a week after you added it to give it time to register.

Add a half a box of Borax and see how high that takes the pH. You are above 7.0 now, so that is good. Aim for 7.4-7.6.

The sock is now empty (total of 4lbs), my pH is up to 7.6 and I'm maintaining my CC to 10 with bleach. I've noticed very small translucent / white flakes on top of the water (not alot, but a very light layer on top of the water). Almost like soap flakes (or snow flakes). When I touch one it just seems to dissolve when rubbed between my fingers. Is this a result of the CYA being presented to the water? (or maybe my sock dissolving?) lol. thanks

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

not sure about the flakes, but they will filter out or dissolve with time. You want your FC to stay at 10- you want your CC to go eventually to 0 (or <.5...) so if your CC is 10, you need to keep adding chlorine to maintain FC higher to oxidize the CC

Typo there. My FC is 8 today and my CC is 0.2. So I think I'm on track. thank you

+ Reply to Thread