+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I feel like a zen master.

Default I feel like a zen master.

I just wanted to say what a great feeling it is to have all my chemical levels in balance. It seems that the world is in harmony.

We bought an intex 18x4 metal frame pool last year. This was my first experience with a pool and I could never get my TA to come down which caused me trouble with pretty much everything else. My levels were always way out of wack and the SWG was constantly needing to be cleaned....after a mustard outbreak, I was so discouraged I just drained the pool and put it away (about August.) This year I made up my mind that I would not be beaten, so I set up the pool, cleaned it up and filled it. Got out the ol' test kit and got busy. I went ahead and invested in a 4000 gph pump to replace the 1500 that comes with the pool (this new one really moves some water!) I also bought the delux skimmer kit for it (that works very well with the new pump) It's been set up for about a month and when I tested yesterday all my levels were PERFECT! I'm really looking forward to a fun filled summer of swimming bliss. So....long story long!....There is hope. After a bad year last year I'm really excited to be off to such a great start.

Just a few things for the new guys....

The bigger pump seems to help a lot.
    The skimmer makes life a lot easier.
    They sell "filter savers" (which seem to be made out of nylon hose material? that really help with time between cleaning the filter) Well worth the few bucks.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: I feel like a zen master.

Warning: A bigger pump only helps if the filter's capacity is greater than the pump's. If you mean a bigger filter/pump combo (which I believe Intex sells) then that works. A pump that's too big for the filter will, at best, not filter properly, and, at worst, destroy the filter. Most pool owners are sold pumps that are too big, if not for the filter, then for the pool, because it costs more to run than it should.

If your pool is 18' round, then your new pump should turn over your water in about 2 hours, which means you don't need to run it all day.

You'll need a proper test kit and we recommend an FAS-DPD test kit like the Taylor K-2006 or K-2006C, or the Leslies Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit. It will give you a much better "read" on what's going on in your pool. I got my first FAS-DPD kit when I had an Intext 15x3 donut pool and went through a lot of the same things you did.

There's lots of great EFFECTIVE information here to make your pool care easy and inexpensive....and we ALL know from personal experience that it works.

Carl
    Carl

Oh...I wasn't clear. It's the filter/pump combo. I'm running it about 8 hours a day with the SWG on for 4 hours. I bought the taylor kit last summer (after advise from you all)

Last year I filled the pool with well water and I think that was part of my problem. This year I used my city water (which I'm sure I'll see on my next bill) and so far it seems to have been a good decision.

Here's to hoping this will be a better summer. I'm going to stay ahead of the game.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Well water is usually only a problem if it's full of metals, seriously full of metals, like copper, iron and calcium (people forget calcium is a gray, soft metal). Or if it's contaminated.

Carl
    Carl

Well, like I said, last year I could not get my TA down after 2 months of trying. I was having to soak the plates on my SWG in every 3 to 4 days (calcium is what I'm guessing?) Anyway, I haven't had to soak the generator this year yet and my TA is at 82 after only 4 gallons of acid.

Happy Times!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Enjoy your pool, and happy swimming!!

Janet
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread