+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 12'x20'x4' inground pool vinyl liner replacement

kathylu is offline ** No working email address ** kathylu 0

Post 12'x20'x4' inground pool vinyl liner replacement

Hi there...new to the forum but had a pool all my life. My Pop built this pool himself in 1964(I take care of it now...he's 82). It originally had marine plywood walls, an overlap liner and vinyl covered wood coping. My parents replaced the liner once and in 1994 the walls finally gave way (30 yrs not bad I'd say). The pool was replaced with a new sand bottom, steel wall and a beaded vinyl liner in 1994. That liner finally gave way this winter We need a DYI solution. I have people to help me to install a new liner but I have no idea of the pool brand. The receipt does mention universal coping and I can see it has a regular bead liner channel. I looked online and the only ready- made liners in our size (12'x20'x48") are for Kayak and Fantasea "onground" pools. Are the beads different for an "onground" pool. Do I need to order a "custom" liniing...the forms are very confusing because this pool is simple..constant depth at 4', 90degree corners and a rectangle (no cotouts,no steps) . Thanks in advance Kath

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: 12'x20'x4' inground pool vinyl liner replacement

Welcome Kathylu. Liner replacement procedures are not my forte so I'm going to bump your thread up again to the top to see if someone can give you some advice! By the way, thank you for becoming a subscriber and helping to support the forum!

Anybody??

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Welcome to the Forum!

I think you'll find that a custom liner for your pool won't cost much extra because of it's simplicity.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thank you for replying Watermom and Waste...I need all the help I can get! Any suggestions for a reliable liner company online? Our local pool supply store quoted over $900 for this liner and that seems very high, considering the replacements for a Kayak and Fantasea pool in the same dimensions average about $300. Need to get the ball rolling on this replacement...the walls are getting rustier every day. Thanks for any help! Kath

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

I got a number of online dealers when I Yahoo searched "swimming pool vinyl liners". I can't speak about the reliability because I've never bought a liner online.

I think it was Al (Poconos) who brought up the mil v.s. gauge scam some run - 25 gauge is a good bit thinner than 25 mil so - caveat emptor (buyer beware)! [I HOPE I spelled that correctly]
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Kathylu I have used PCPOOLS dot com for many items including a liner just like the one you need...mine also was DIY built to the same spec's...i got a season closout deal for the liner and shipping @ $214.00. and it fits like a glove..ck them out. if your pnls are rusting but still usable you can clean them off with a 3m scotch bright pad then prim with some spray can paint. i used 3m spray adheasive and 1/8" floor foam padding (the foam that goes under hardwood floors) glued to the walls which help protect the vinyl from abrasions..
    3rd year - homeBuilt! by ME! 11500 Gal. Vinyl inground
    haward S180T with a 1hp Super Pump

Waste...Jim..Watermom..You guys (and gal) are awesome! Thanks you so much for the advice...will definitely be using the foam liner and hoping I get a reliable liner company. I really appreciate you taking the time try to help me. As I said in my first post...I'm not even the pool owner. However, I have truly joyful memories of this pool and now the responsibility is in my world. I'll tell you how it goes!(all suggestions are still welcome...if anyone has found a major liner deal or awesome DIY tip!) Tnx again Kath

Post Re: 12'x20'x4' inground pool vinyl liner replacement

Hi all Just sending an update...forgot to mention that the local pool store wanted another 1200 bucks for installation of this 12x20x4 liner..no steps...no cutouts! Found 2 great companies (they actually responded..lol). One has exactly what my folks want (solid old school aqua) and I'm ready to order but the bead is a bit smaller than the profile dimensions shown on their websites. A question to the experts out there...the liner is clearly trashed but the bead seems pretty solid...did the bead shrink? Are there guidelines for a universal bead (or pool liner bead guidelines in general)? Need advice ASAP...gotta get this ball rolling! Thanks for any wisdom! Kath

The bead shouldn't shrink, there are 3 'standard' beads - if you can identify which you have, you can make sure it will fit your receiver. You might be able to cut a small piece and take it to a pool store for comparison or I might be able to help you figure out another way to identify it (if my old friends from the pool biz will help me)
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Thanks for the reply Ted Great minds think alike! I just over-nighted a piece of the old liner bead to the company I'm planning to order with. The salesman (very nice and professional) said he could send me a sample of every bead they have but it made more sense to show him exactly what I'm dealing with. Will keep you updated (I may have to upgrade my membership so I can post some before and after pics ) Thanks again Kath

+ Reply to Thread