+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is my salt level too high? Test vs. digital readout.

Default Is my salt level too high? Test vs. digital readout.

Got my AquaRite t-15 installed and running. I took a water sample to the pool store (groan) to get the salt level checked before I added any salt. I didn't yet have my salt testing kit. Two extremely inept young boys tested the water and told me the salt level was 2500. According to the AquaRite readout, original salinity was 2200. I went ahead and added salt according to the manual based on original salinity of 2500.

Got my salt test kit today (the two part drop kit) and it's reading 3600 on multiple samples. According to the manual, that's too high but the unit seems to be running fine and is not saying the salt is too high. The digital panel is still reading only 2900. I believe 3600 is accurate. Should I leave it where it is or dilute it some?

God, how many times will it take me to learn you can NEVER NEVER NEVER go by what the pool store "boys" say??? I don't think I'm ever going to go to that particular chain for test again. I almost had to show the trainee boy how to do the CYA test. Then he tried to sell me muriatic acid as CYA. Whatevah!

Thanks, ya'll.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Is my salt level too high? Test vs. digital readout.

Two possible answers:

1) It's doubtful that the difference between 2900 and 3600 (25%) is critical. Few things in the pool industry are that exact.

2) Call AquaRite tech support, and then try to break through to a level 2 tech (not the first person who answers). Ideally, you want someone who helped write the manual, rather than one of the guys who's flipping to the right section, and then reading the answer to you. Ask them about calibrating your unit's read out.

Ben

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that, but will do next week. Loving the SWCG so far. Would never have come this far with my pool without everyone's help here.

Tabitha

As a general rule, I go by the unit itself. I have taken water samples to multiple pool stores only to find out that they ALL vary. Test strips are usually a waste, while the battery powered testers seem to be the most accurate. I did manage to find two different pool stores that came up with the same reading, so that is what I went with. My low salt light went out and the High salt light never came on, and I've got good chlorine. My particular preference is to keep the salt level on the low end to avoid the salty taste. I think I have seen the battery operated Salinity testers on the internet for under $15. I may just break down and buy one to avoid the pool store guys.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Hi Mom, send me a PM so I can reply.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

+ Reply to Thread