+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heat Pump or Gas or. Solar

Default Heat Pump or Gas or. Solar

I have read a lot of pros and cons about heating a pool for all these three. I have to replace a rusted out Natrual Gas heater and in my reserach it seemd a Heat Pump might be my best option for Toronto Canada. Any thoughts on this as well as other options - Solar and return to Gad.
    I am curently looking at Aquapro 800 for my inground (~24,000 gals), salt water pool with CPO rating of 6.2.

Thank you.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Heat Pump or Gas or. Solar

Welcome to the forum.
    I'm thinking that a 'classic' heat pump in Toronto won't work too well because of the cooler outside temperatures just when you need it. By classic I mean using air to warm the evaporator. If you tap ground heat to warm the evap then it may work OK. This is my gut feeling and a real analysis should be done to determine performance. A heat pump won't change the pool temp quickly.
    Gas, depends on the price of gas in your area. It has the quickest recovery.
    Solar, usually the cheapest in the long run and if you have space to build one yourself then the cost gets really cheap. Again, no quick recovery.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Heat Pump or Gas or. Solar

Remember: If you are looking to heat when the air temp is in the 50's or higher a heat pump may be second only to solar in efficiency. If you intend to heat when the air is in the 40's or 30's.....maybe consider an indoor pool!

Carl
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread