+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Easy Set pool cleaning

Default Easy Set pool cleaning

Here's a few things I've learned from owning an 18'X48" Intex easy set pool. (the one with the big blow up ring on top).

Cleaning can be really tough and the filters don't filter out all the dirt and fine stuff.

Putting a pair of panty hose over the filter does help keep the bugs and stuff out of it and it works a little better.

To clean to bottom, I used a 16 gallon shop vac to get a good siphon going and then disconnected the hose from the vac to finish vacuuming the bottom of the pool. It made a mess, but got most of the dead stuff off the bottom - algae, dirt, silt, and leaves.

I have tried every vacuum system made for this pool and have yet to find one that works really well...even with cotton balls added to the filter bag. The new one at Walmart with the knee-hi sock attached to it, is the best yet, though.

Hope this helps someone out there. I won't buy another one of these pools due to the difficulty maintaining them with the cartridge system they come with. The cartridges are expensive and don't work very well on the whole. Next time I'll definitely use a better pump/filter combination. On the other hand, I've had this pool up for going on 3 seasons. For the money I paid for it, it's been a reasonable method of providing fun for the family in the short run.

That said, if you're short on immediate budget, it's a good pool. If you can afford something more, I'd go that route.

Default Re: Easy Set pool cleaning

Although it probably costs almost as much as the pool, a PoolBuster Max would probably would awesome in one of these. Search the forums for Poolbuster, you'll find a lot of satisfied owners.

As a former owner of two easy-sets, one a 15 donut and 18 metal frame I know what you're going through. I did rig up an adapter so that I could vacuum through the filter with a regular vac head. I did notice that Intex has came out with an auto cleaner for their pools this year. No idea if they work or not though.

http://www.intexstore.com/shop/shopd...id=7&subcat=22
    Karen
    18' AG

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I, too, rigged up an adapter to allow me to vacuum my EasySet--which was in service from 2000 through 2002. I used a 3/4" double female PVC adapter forced into an 1" 1/4 hose--and that was a perfect fit in the drain. It wasn't very powerful but it did get the fine stuff. I did write about it on the old forum.

The carts were about $10 per, but I found you could hose them down. I'd get about 2 weeks out of 1, wash it, get another 2 weeks. So every month I'd replace it. Not too bad.

The EasySet donuts were still an Internet Only item then--a few toy stores had the 12', but not the bigger ones. And they were expensive! The 15' package was around $600! I WISH the PoolBuster had been around then!

Still, we very much enjoyed our EasySet and it doesn't owe us a dime!
    Carl

How well does the metal frame hold up in comparison to the donut style? We had a hail storm last night (golf ball size hail) that did in the top ring on my pool. I'm considering going with the metal frame to replace it. For my $500, though, I want it to last for more than one season...more like at least 3. Will the metal frame pools hold up to the wind and such over the long haul?

I only had the metal frame for 1 year, we moved and put up an AG. It seemed to hold up well. It was definately easier to clean and dry to take down in the fall since it was still standing up. I personally think my metal frame was much sturdier than the donut I had before it. When the kids hung on the sides we weren't having to scream at them because they were letting water out! LOL If I were going that route again, I would definately go with the metal frame without hesitation. (I'd also take a good look at the new pumps that have a SWC integrated into them)
    Karen
    18' AG

+ Reply to Thread