+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blocking Air intake to Run Spa Jets - Is ths OK?

Default Blocking Air intake to Run Spa Jets - Is ths OK?

I noticed that when I block up the air intake pipe next to my pool equipment when the spa jets are in running mode, my spa jets will turn off. Can I hook up a 2 way valve to this air pipe (on acutuator) so that I can then operate the jets on and off that way via a remote (vs operating jets off and on by opening ground valve lid cover next to spa - in the dark - and spider city down there)? Will this mess anything up? Is it OK if it is in shut/closed position during normal pool operation.

Thanks.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Blocking Air intake to Run Spa Jets - Is ths OK?

I can't answer your question, but I'm sure somebody will be along shortly who can. I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the forum. Also, thanks for becoming a subscriber. We really appreciate the financial support in helping to keep the site up and running. Thanks again and hope you enjoy using the forum!

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

does the normal control for the jets work by blocking this air flow? if yes, then blocking it somewhere else won't hurt...
    however, if the control for the jets is based on a water valve (3 way) and not on the air flow, then that air is needed somewhere, probably to cool something, and blocking it will shorten life of equipment (perhaps rapidly and catastrophically!)
    Maybe someone else knows a little more, but I wouldn't block an air flow unless I was positive that was the purpose of the air pipe to begin with!
    Good Luck
    Madwil

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

jaimslaw;

Can you take pictures of what you are talking about, and mail them to me (poolforum AT gmail DOT com)? I think I know what you are asking, and I think you'd be fine doing what you want, but your terms aren't 'technical' (and specific) enough for me to be sure. That may be making others hesitate, too. They don't want to tell you "OK", and then find out they misunderstood and let you damage something.

But, in general, you can do whatever you like to a passive air intake to a venturi jet, and not damage anything. Likewise, in general, if you have a powered blower, you can NOT block the air intake to it, without damage.

Ben

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

Thanks, Ben- that's what I was trying to say!

Yes, I will post pics when I get home tonight. Basically, next to all my other piping at the pool pad, there is a pipe coming up out of the ground about 4 feet high with a 90 at the end, and it is open. It has every appearance of being just an air intake. At my spa (pool/spa combo), there is a 2 way on/off hand turned valve that operates the spa jets when in spa mode. When I turn the jets on, I can go to that air intake pipe, block it with a tennis ball over the opening, and the jets go off. Take the tennius ball away and the jets go back on. So I thought I would just plumb in a valve at that pipe, put it on an acutator, and keep it in closed position when not using the spa.

My other pool components are pretty straightforward: single 2 HP Whisperflo single speed pump, sta rite DE Series 3 Filter, and a Sta Rite Heater.

I can't imagine where that air intake would be utilized except for the spa jets.

Thanks again for your replies and any further comments suggested by the foregoing information about my set up.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Reply to Thread