+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aluminum or Steel?? HELP!

Unhappy Aluminum or Steel?? HELP!

Hello~

Our current pool is an above ground steel and is 7 years old...came with the house that we purchased 2 years ago. Yesterday we discovered it was damaged over the winter. The area where the skimmer is buckled most likely do to ice (so the sales men have told me). We need to get a new pool and I have NO idea where to begin. I have been told the pool I have is "entry level" which is really fine to me...I dont need all the bells and whistles. I have consulted two different stores and each offers me something vastly different and each says they are the best (surprise, surprise). I am hoping someone can help me figure out what to do.

SwimKing: states aluminum is the best for northeast..says no way should we go steel like we have...and because we have steel that is why I have this problem....my aluminum pool he sells me for 4,550 will last me 30 years or more. He says its the strongest and most weather resistant and he would feel bad selling me steel.

Royal: (the place where my current broken pool was from) ONLY sells steel and says STEEL is the best and can offer me replacement at about 3,000.

I would love some help determining which is better the alum. or steel.
    Thanks in advance~
    Danielle

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

Default Re: Aluminum or Steel?? HELP!

properly installed and protected, I don't think either is better. Steel and Aluminum will both corrode in water, and even faster with Cl added- so either must be painted/epoxy coated or something. They might "pickle" Aluminum...
    Ships are made from Steel, with little aluminum- I think that's for ease of welding as much as other issues.
    Aircraft are made from Aluminum and some special alloys- for weight conservation.
    So structurally, either is fine; I think both are fine for pool structure also!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Reply to Thread