+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Buying a house with a pool--need advice

Default Re: Buying a house with a pool--need advice

So the pool is coming along. Got a new pump and re-plumbed everything. Put some chlorine in it and it is no longer brown, just a milky green now. I have been running the pump quite often, I was just wondering how often I should run the pump. Getting it cleaned up, I am guessing, I should run it more than when it is sparking clear. My question is, how often or how long should I run it once it is up and running? I have heard 12 hours and 8 hours from people I have talked to.

On another note, the pool is still quite dirty. I have been trying to clean out the leaves and whatever else is on the bottom, but it is hard without being able to see it. If I keep shocking and running the filter will it eventually clear up?

P.S. Yeah that is a heater there. I am doing away with it though.

Thanks!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

OK, when cleaning a pool of algae, you need to run the pump 24/7, and be dosing it with chlorine pretty much constantly. In practical terms this means 3x/day or minimum 2x. You have to vacuum to get the junk out, and back wash a lot, too.

Once it's clean and the chemicals are all nicely balanced, you need to "turn over" your water at least once per day. How long that takes depends on the gallons per minute your pump and filter run at, and how many gallons you have. For example, say you have 10,000 gallons and your pump and filter run at 25gpm: You need to run the filter for at least 7 hours to filter all the water once. I just made up these numbers.

You should also get a leaf rake. This is a gadget that looks like someone welded a squeegee to a butterfly net and goes on a standard skimmer pole. You need to drag this across the bottom, even if you can't see it, and get those leaves out of there! They are decaying and using up your chlorine.

Carl
    Carl

We have been running the filter for probably 14 hours a day. The problem I am having is that my impeller keeps getting clogged. I have cleaned it out 4 times today and it just keeps getting clogged. Any ideas on how to keep it from being clogged. Here is a link to the pump I have http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Challe.../dp/B002ZJ3NC6.

I have been using the leaf rake. It just seems to be never ending. I raked stuff out for about 6 hours today. Minus the time I spent cleaning that stupid impeller. Regarding the GPM of my pump and filter. My filter is Sta-Rite HRPB24, it says 20gpm and I am not sure what my pump puts out.

I have some chlorine granules. How much of that should I be putting in during the day? I've been putting in about 5 scoops, I think it is 1 cup per scoop, every day. Think I need more than that?

Jesse

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You need to put in enough to get your chlorine up to 12-15 ppm and keep it there, at least until the pool clears and you add stabilizer.

Janet
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread