+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buying a house with a pool--need advice

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Buying a house with a pool--need advice

Bah...I tried to upload a pic of the leak test jig I built but struck out. Basically it's a short length of 1.5" PVC pipe, capped at one end, a hole drilled in the side and a pressure gauge threaded in, another hole drilled and a tubeless tire stem inserted from the inside. I use a section of auto radiator hose of the correct diameter, with hose clamps, to connect it to an access point in the plumbing. Depending on your plumbing the jig can be connected any way that works. Plug the returns by removing the eyeballs and replacing with a plug, may be a 1.5" male PVC cap or whatever fits. Hook an air compressor, or a tire pump, to the jig and pump it up to about 10 psi. That's about all you need. Do the same with the skimmer line. Usually this should be done with dry lines but with water in them you may not find a small leak. If a big break or crack then you'll find out quick, even if the pipes have water in them. For mounting the pressure gauge, you can drill a hole slightly smaller than the gauge threads and use the gauge itself as a tap to cut threads. Then smear silicone seal on the inside around he gauge threads to make a better seal. PVC is easy to work with and very versatile, cheap, and sometimes fun.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

Hey thanks for the tutorial on making that. Once we get in to the house I'll probably be asking you questions about it and whether I am making it correctly or not =). One note, the returns are plugged, you think that means it was winterized? About the liner, what is the best way to check for a tear in it? I am not getting into this pool in it's current condition =).

Thanks everyone.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

The fact the returns are plugged is a GOOD sign. Can also look if the pump has the drain plug pulled or is dry, and same with the filter. As for the liner, finding small tears can be a PITA. Best way is to fill it and see if the level drops. At its present level you can try and give a good visual around the waterline because if it was leaking the leak would stop at the present level. Stairs are a pretty common place for leaks at the pinch strips or whatever they're called.
    On the leak test jig, if I don't get the pic thing solved I can always email stuff to you when the time comes.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

So we closed on the house Friday and painted the inside over the weekend. I am now starting on the pool! Started cleaning it tonight, but ran into a snag. I was taking the leaves and twigs out with the leaf rake and noticed that the water was not draining from the rake and making it extremely heavy. I then noticed the problem, we have a cottonwood tree in the back yard which has deposited a ton of cotton on the bottom of the pool. About an hour or so into my cleaning my pole bent and snapped. Anyone have any suggestions for this? Can I get a stronger pole? Do I have to just watch how much I am picking up?

Also, on a separate note, I started looking at my pipes, filter, and pump. I noticed that one of the pipes was cut through, this one goes under the concrete. I am assuming it goes to the skimmer or the drain. I will upload some pictures tomorrow and see if you guys can help me figure out what all these pipes are for and what I am missing.

Thanks for all the help.

Some pools in this region have a dedicated cleaner line that was never hooked up and may be cut at the pump end. You should have a line coming back to your pump from the main drain and 1 from each skimmer. If it's the extra one that's cut, it could be the dedicated cleaner line. Pics would be very helpful.

Hey guys. I think I am almost finished cleaning the leaves, twigs, and cotton out of the pool. Should I fill it after I am done with that or scrub the sides first? Also I have attached some pictures of the pipes and a picture of the pool so you can see how nasty it is . The red arrows point to the pipe that has been cut. If you could let me know what all the pipes are that would be awesome.

Thanks again.

Anyone make heads or tails of these pipes? I'm assuming the one that is cut is not an extra and that it will need replaced.

Yuck !! Hope you don't find a corpse in the bottom of that mess.
    I'm not sure of the plumbing but I'm guessing the cut pipes may have been for the heater which seems to have its ports capped and disconnected? Also, I'm wondering if there is another pump somewhere. I don't understand the skinny pipes in and out of the pump transitioning to what looks like 1.5" pipe. Almost like the pump shown was some kind of very low flow circulation pump and not the main pump.
    Anyone with more ideas?
    Al

Yeah it is really nasty, tons and tons of algae. Thinking it might be worth the hassle to drain it at this point. I got to looking at the pipes and there should be another pump is what I am thinking as well. It is a foreclosure and they took all of the appliances so I am assuming they took the pump too if it was worth some money. If anyone else can help me with this mess it would be greatly appreciated.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

draining it at this point could be a mistake. If the ground around is very wet, you could float the pool out of the ground like a boat, doing thousands more damage to the structure.
    IF there's no ground water or you must make repairs down there then you'll have to drain it, but you'll need something get rid of ground water, and that's more specialized than I am.

I think Al is right--the pipes to the pump look too thin, like maybe it's an automatic cleaner pump or a spa pump? I don't see an in-pump skimmer basket, which filter pumps always have, in my limited experience. Is that a pool heater or just the AC for the house?

I'm thinking the best course is to identify where the pipes go (Drains and skimmers, backwash drain, returns), get a new filter pump sized to your sand filter, and re-plumb it to suit. It's all PVC, so it's pretty easy to work, but only if you know what to plumb.

The skimmers and drains go to the pump, near its skimmer basket. It pumps water to the multivalve which can route it to filter and to the returns, backwards to backwash (and to the backwash drain), or directly to the pool, bypassing the filter.

Carl
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread