We've decided to take the plunge (no pun intended) and replace the concrete deck on our eight-year-old pool. It heaved last year and cracked around the shallow end. We're planning to replace it with stamped concrete.

Here's my dilemma: the first company that quoted said that the coping may get damaged and need to be replaced (it's currently in good condition) at a cost of $1,200 to $1,300. They said it happens in about 1/3 of the jobs they do.

The second company, which hasn't even come out to see the pool yet, said that the coping will definitely have to be replaced -- and probably the liner, too! The existing liner is a premium liner. It was reset last year because it had wrinkled and was judged at that time to be in excellent condition.

I think it may not be a coincidence that the second company also installs and rehabs pools, while the first one just does concrete work, but is a sub-contractor to some pool companies so has experience in this area.

My question is -- what is your experience with deck replacements? Do they often require coping and/or liner replacement? Is this second company just trying to increase the cost of the job?