+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Replacing concrete deck

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Replacing concrete deck

I agree, if the coping does need to be replaced, it's not too hard to do it in sections to preserve the existing liner

Please let us know what the first guy has to say.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

I have the two quotes now: for the pool deck replacement with stamped concrete, Company 1 will charge $5,800. Company 2 won't do it without replacing the coping and liner, so the cost for deck, liner and coping would be $14,600. The alternative they offer is to saw around the pool, about a foot out from the coping, and mortar stones on top of that area (that way they don't need to jackhammer near the coping) -- they would then tear out the rest of the deck and replace it with stamped concrete up to the level of the stones. The whole thing would end up being about two inches higher than the surrounding area. This would cost $11,300.

Company 1 says they haven't damaged a liner in 12 years, during which time they've replaced about 30 or 40 decks. They estimate that the coping gets damaged in about one-third of the jobs. Company 2 specializes in pool rehabs and says that there's no way the job can be done without replacing the coping and liner. I'm not sure who to believe.

Curious - have you made a decision?

If you haven't you might want to see if they have any 'reference' customers they could put you in contact with to talk to and ask about their experience, tough given this was 6 weeks ago I'm guessing you may have made a decision already.

Well, fast forward almost a year! We went with the company that said they could re-do the deck without damaging the liner and they were true to their word. They did a fabulous job and the deck and patio looked superb!

However...

Over the course of the past winter, the steps cracked and heaved again! Of course, that much movement in the steps cracked the brand new stamped concrete deck on both sides. It's going to cost me $3K to have the concrete taken up and replaced -- and no guarantee that the new section will match. I know they will try their best because they pride themselves on their workmanship and they're very good at what they do.

The bigger problem is what to do about the steps and what is causing this constant heaving! I don't want to have them patched again because I have no confidence that it will hold.

What do you think can be causing this problem? We've ruled out high groundwater or water running toward the step area (the concrete slopes gently away so the run-off goes toward the lawn and the garden. The experts I've talked to suggest it may be a case of the steps being improperly supported from below, which is causing flexing, which in turn leads to cracking and water getting under the steps. In the winter, of course, the water freezes, expands and pushed the steps up out of the concrete.

Does that sound plausible to you?

In reading your thread I was thinking to myself "Don't fix the deck, it will crack again!"....and I didn't even realize this was an old thread.

I'd hate for you to see my deck, it's in terrible shape, but I don't want to put any money in it so I just live with it.
    ~18K gal IG Gunite -- 1-HP Pentair Whisper Flo with new 2-speed motor. Intermatic T1000 Dual Speed Timer -- Tagelus 60D sand filter
    Hayward SWCG (up to 40K gal.) -- Polaris 280 and booster pump -- Rainbow (now Pentair) in-line chlorine Feeder.

vinper is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst vinper 0

In your pics the cocrete does not look uneven . If its not uneven ,they can grind the cracks and apply a mastic with membrane, Then you can do a acrylic stamped concrete finish right over the existing decking ..And the cracks will not come through

+ Reply to Thread