+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about heat pump pool heater and fireman's switch on pump timer

Default Question about heat pump pool heater and fireman's switch on pump timer

Let me start by saying I found this forum while doing some research on our new pool that was just started yesterday. This site has been really helpful and I've learned a lot.
    Now to my question. I've ready about fireman's switches for turning off heaters prior to the auto timer shutting off a pool pump. My question is are these needed on heat pump pool heaters. I'm looking at a Rheem 8350ti. Most of what I've ready about the fireman's switches appear to be for the gas heaters that probably operate at a lot higher temp than the heat pumps do. I can't find anything in the heat pump installation manual about needing one. I intend to ask my pool contractor, but wanted to check here first. I'm not buying my heat pump from the pool contractor, so I wanted to get you folks opinion on this.

Thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Question about heat pump pool heater and fireman's switch on pump timer

In your case, the function of a deadman switch would be to protect the heat pump, rather than to preserve safety. I don't know whether that heat pump requires that protection or not. You should look at the product manual . . . or call a Rheem engineer, which might be more convenient, at least for you.

Of course, depending on where you are, the local pool code might require one whether you need it or not.

PoolDoc

+ Reply to Thread