+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Controlling Mosquitos

Default Re: Controlling Mosquitos

Just following up on the Mosquito Magnet thing I mentioned above. I sent my unit off to be serviced, and $180 later it came back working perfectly. It's only been running for 3 days now in my yard and already has what must be well over 20 mosquitoes in the trap chamber. I'm thinking this thing is going to work out well - just don't buy a used one unless you're sure it's in good working order. For what I paid for the device + repair I could have saved money buying it new.

The EPA page linked above by pooldoc provides a reference to the "American Mosquito Control Association" which has a page talking about these devices here.
    Last edited by kelemvor; 04-03-2012 at 11:11 AM.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

This is just anecdotal but I've never had a mosquito problem around my pool in the summer, and in GA they are everywhere. I think the secret is that we have bats that live near the house (probably in one of my neighbor's houses, no caves around here as far as I know). They are harmless to people and unless you know what to look for most people think they're just birds. You can mount bat houses to attract them. I think it's pretty cool, especially when I'm swimming at dusk and watch them zooming around and then diving down to grab a drink of water from the pool! And from what I know about them they eat a ton of mosquitoes and other flying insects. Then again, it could also be the tree frogs. Or both. But I've never felt like I needed anything else to stop skeeters.
    My pool: 30,000 gal, in ground, Gunite (concrete/plaster) pool, Hayward sand filter 250 lb., AO Smith "Centurion" 3/4 HP pump.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    I think it's pretty cool, especially when I'm swimming at dusk and watch them zooming around and then diving down to grab a drink of water from the pool!
    You gotta be kidding! If I was in my pool and bats were dive-bombing around me, I'd be freaking out!

(Quit laughing, Ben!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    You gotta be kidding! If I was in my pool and bats were dive-bombing around me, I'd be freaking out!

(Quit laughing, Ben!!)
    It's only happened once or twice, like most animals they avoid people. FWIW my wife saw that happen and immediately went underwater in case one of them got in her hair (which they don't do). I think it's worth it to be able to go outside without lathering waterproof DEET all over myself. But then I don't mind spiders hanging around the corners and killing houseflies either. My mother probably let me watch too much "Wild America" when I was a kid.
    My pool: 30,000 gal, in ground, Gunite (concrete/plaster) pool, Hayward sand filter 250 lb., AO Smith "Centurion" 3/4 HP pump.

I'm with watermom on this one. I do see bats in my area going from tree to tree around dusk but I've never seen one dive into my pool. I would not be a happy camper.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

Bats...specifically mexican free-tailed bats love to eat em. Lots of fun to sit in the pool and watch them too, sometimes they will dive down for a drink. I live in deep east texas so I feel your pain on the mosquitos. Some neighbors have a pond about a 100 yards away and they are terrible
    18' round 7.5K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; Hayward C900 cartridge filter; Hayward Power Flo Matrix 3/4HP pump; hrs; HTH 6-way test kit
    ; community; PF:16

+ Reply to Thread