+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Controlling Mosquitos

Default Controlling Mosquitos

Down in Louisiana we have a bit of a mosquito problem. We had to cut our swim short yesterday evening because the mosquitos were bothering us. They are not breeding in the pool but just out bothering us at night. Does anyone have experience or advise on controlling them while swimming?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Controlling Mosquitos

Yup, martin houses!! Purple martins eat several times their weight in mosquitoes daily, and can be a really good deterrent. We have swallows that nest under the eaves of our front and back porches, and a martin house along the back fence, and we very rarely ever get bitten by mosquitoes in the pool, even late at night. The birds are a little messy while raising little ones in the nest, but I'd much rather rinse bird poop off the patio than deal with West Nile!!

Janet (near Shreveport)

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I've tried two devices to try and control them because I wanted to avoid having things on fire in the back yard with the kids when possible (tiki torches/ citronella candles).

The stinger bug zapper got lots of other bugs and insects, but didn't do much for skeets at all (even with the attractant chemical addon). It was also VERY loud when it zapped them, and the unit stopped working completely after about 6 weeks. My opinion is this thing is not helpful for controlling mosquitoes at all.

The Mosquito Magnet Patriot. This thing uses electricity and propane gas to attract mosquitoes and trap them. The jury's still out on this one, I bought it used for about $150 and have been struggling to keep the thing running. It has captured some mosquitoes but certainly hasn't come anywhere close to living up to the manufacturers claims about the product. It's expensive, uses about a tank of propane a month, and some electricity. So far, I can't say I'd recommend it; but I've heard a lot of people rave about them. Maybe I should have not gone with a used one. The manufacturer site is here: http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/store/...t-traps/mm4100 in case you're curious.

I'm using the mosquito magnet and bug spray at the moment, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to switch back to the standard tiki torch/citronella candle methods as summer approaches.

I think we'll try a Martin house and some tiki torches. I was considering the bug zapper, but it doesn't sound like they do any good. Thanks for all the input!

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

I also have a fogger- about $60-70 bucks at Home Depot/Lowes, $10 for a quart of juice. They have electric or propane ones....
    If you get one, you need to fog initially 3 times, about 3-4 days apart (1 weekend, midweek, next weekend)
    Then about every 2 weeks after
    This kills the current generation, the current eggs as they hatch, and the next generation... the 2 weeks after is to kill those trying to move in on you!
    I use about 2 quarts a year, when I lived in S Georgia, similar climate to Louisianna...

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I bought one of these things used on Ebay maybe 10 years ago for around $500.
    http://www.dynafog.com/foggers/pje/t...azer/index.htm
    I've got a pretty large area and use a permethrin insecticide in a diesel fuel carrier. Generates a pretty good fog. Do the lawn, bushes, poolhouse, and anywhere bugs like to be. Even stick the snoot in a gopher hole and fog under the pool deck. The insecticide concentrate was expensive too and cost somewhere around $300 then but was enough to make something like 90 gallons. The model I have is supposed to work with a water base too but I found the fog isn't nearly as 'foggy' as the diesel base. An exterminator friend uses a slightly bigger version to do the local fairgrounds in the Fall. http://www.dynafog.com/foggers/pje/g...agle/index.htm
    The company has quite a variety of foggers.
    Trick is to find one cheap. People that get them tend to hold onto them.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Keep in mind that it takes at LEAST a year to get martins established - so they won't help you at all this year. You may want to put up martin houses for the future AND try one of the other methods, for now. The links below might help you distinguish effective and ineffective methods.

Of course, you could employ the VERY effective method common to Florida (and hardly anywhere else): a screen house, enclosing your pool! That pretty much works immediately.

PoolDoc

PS: There is also some question about just how effective martins really are:
    http://purplemartin.org/update/MosCont.html

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health...s/mosquito.htm

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef005.asp

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

All links archived at thread 10844.

Not to rain on the purple martin parade but.... I adore purple martins and used to have a registered colony when I lived on a lake in NYS. I miss them very much and wish I now lived where I could attract a colony. However, it is a bit of a myth about mosquito control. Their diet consists of less than 3% mosquitos. In fact a large portion of their diet in season is dragon flies and damselflies. Unfortunately, the nymph stages of these flies are a major aquatic predator of mosquito larva. So, in theory, purple martin colonies would lead to increased local mosquito populations. But by all means put up some houses, they are beautiful birds to watch and you will never regret having them around. Unless you like to sleep late, they are a very sweet sounding alarm clock as they start their day.
    Jandy Aqua-Pure SWCG on 1.5" bypass to a venturi skimmer; in-floor cleaning system presently disengaged. pebble coat surface, spill over spa

15x30' kidney 22.9K gal IG pool; swg; Jandy Cl 340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VS pump; 18hrs; K2006 Taylor; shallow well + utility; summer: ; winter: ; none; PF:5.2

+ Reply to Thread