+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pool needing complete overhaul! But i'm willing to go the distance.

Default Pool needing complete overhaul! But i'm willing to go the distance.

Hey All,

I'm a young guy in the military and i bought an older house with an old pool. When we bought the house the pool was sold "AS IS". It doesn't appear to have been operational in a few years but i am in the process of draining and cleaning out all of the algae and debris. I'm borrowing a pressure washer today to continue the cleaning. Ok well it is an inground concrete pool and i am assuming that it was plastered but the plaster is very rough on the bottom of the pool and stained. There are some holes in the plaster where the concrete is showing on the stairs in the corner of the pool. I cant afford to contract the work out but i feel that i would be capable of doing most of it myself. Prior to the military i prepped and installed epoxy floors in factories so i would be most familiar with that type of thing for resurfacing. I know the old 1 h/p pump is done and i am planning on replacing the old sand filter at the same time. Another thing i have been considering was a salt water system. So basicaly I have the shell of a pool that needs to be recoated (i am leaning towards ultraguard? any help?) i will be purchasing a new pump, filter and anything else i run into along the way. I love the idea and of having a pool and i understand it is alot of work but i've never been scared of that. Any suggestions would be of great help, even possibly where to start.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool needing complete overhaul! But i'm willing to go the distance.

Well, the first think I'd check is the pipes -- if they are busted or leaking, you may need to withdraw and reconsider. Second, I'd check the shell and see if there are major and obvious leaks below the normal operating level -- if the pool was holding water at that level, you're probably good to go. But, if not, there are likely leaks at the level of the water, unless it's been dry there lately.

Once you've gotten that far, I'd look at Gunzite / Zeron from Kelley Tech. There's an recent Ultraguard thread here already; you might want to look at it. Search using the like to local Google search from the box in the upper right of most PoolForum pages. Keep in mind that weather conditions are a HUGE issue when painting outdoors. That's a big difference from your experience.

Ben / Poolforum

Ok i will def. check the pipes. As for the plumbing almost all of it is only covered by dirt and grass and i feel like if there were any breaks or leaks i could dig down to the plumbing and replace it. Is that possible or am i underestimating the job. And i plan to get a company to come out and borescope the pipes and if there are any trouble spots they could locate them from the surface i believe. I almost have the pool cleaned out i'm down to the last amount of muck down at the bottom of the deep end about 6 inches of muck which is really a pain because i can't pump it out. I've resorted to shoveling it out. I have looked over almost all of the pool surface minus the bottom of the deep end of course but everything looks good the worst area is the steps where the plaster looks weathered heavily. The pool wil def. need to be recoated but i have not seen any large cracks or wholes in the concrete. As for recoating it sounds like i will need to chip away any loose plaster and patch any exposed concrete with an acrylic mixture? And sand everything smooth then do the acid wash and prep phase. Basically i won't have to remove all of the existing plaster just make sure that if it is staying it is secure to the concrete?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Whatever you recoat with, will adhere to what's on top, and its ultimate bond to the shell will only be as good as the bond of what's under it.

But . . . heavy coats of epoxy (Zeron) do 'hold stuff in place'. I've seen epoxy hold nearly loose plaster down for years. But, if it moves, gives, or wiggles under load, it's got to come out.

Ben

Thumbs up Re: Pool needing complete overhaul! But i'm willing to go the distance.

I have been weighing all options from DIY epoxy coatings to having a reputable company come out and re-plaster the entire pool. They will also replace the pool light, replace my main drain with one thats to code, and re-stick my loose tile. The company i am leaning towards quoted me at 6500$ for everything and they are offering a one year de-lamination warranty. The technician told me they use a rougher bond coat and then a final plaster coat and that the quote was good and we would sign a contract. I am strongly considering just having these guys do the work considering it would take me alot of time to prep by my-self and I am not even sure of the re-liability of the coatings. They told me 3 days and they would be filling the pool. From what i have read on the forum that sounds like a pretty decent price and this pool company has been recommended to me by multiple sources. They have had an A+ BBB rating since 1964. Now i am shopping around for my pump and filter and I am curious if anyone has any reccomendations. I currently have a sand filter and really old 1 HP pump. I am wondering if it would be a bad idea to change the type of filter? Any input on my re-plastering, pump and filter replacement ideas or recommendations are welcome. If this isn't a very legitimate post i apologize, I am just excited about getting my pool going and wouldn't mind input from some veterans.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Hey, I just noticed you're from Shreveport--I'm just outside the city limits. What company are you going with?

What is the volume of your pool? I'm a sand filter fan myself--for me, it keeps the water sparkling with minimal effort from me.

Janet
    Janet

I just had my 22,000g IG replastered with Pebble Sheen by the biggest contractor in the Chicago area. I would assume the pool business is more competitive down South, because mine was double your quote.
    But I will say they did a great job and it looks fantastic! If you stay on top of it, I don't think pools are that much work. Good luck!

The company i am considering is Morehead Pools and i'm not sure of the volume it's about 8-1/2 to 9 feet at the deep end i believe, and i measured the length and width before i am having a hard time remembering what i came up with i want to say the estimate was a around 22,000 gallons.. i will measure again when i get home. There is an old sand filter in place already i'm not sure how operational it is but i can't imagine much being able to go wrong with it besides needing new sand. The valve on top is a little stiff i guess before i replace it i will take it apart and inspect it.

Thanks for the encouragement on the pool Shredhead, I am thinking it is a good price too obviousley as you stated, prices will differ signifacantly by region but it is still alot of money! One way or the other it needs done so i guess i will be taking the plunge.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

In a 22K gallon pool, a 1 HP pump should be more than enough--my pool is approx 29K gallons and I have 1 HP on it, and it does just fine. I'm also a proponent of sand filters--I think they do just about as well as a DE filter without all the hassle. Besides, you can always add a handful of DE to the sand if you need it to filter finer stuff.

Morehead is a good company, one of the pricier ones in this area, but they are also one of the only pool companies in this area that have such a full range of services without having to go to an independent contractor. They seem to be knowledgeable about what they do. The few dealings I've had with them, I've found them to be at least on time and deliver what they promised. I have found, though, that if you just need parts, i.e. gaskets, replacement plugs, Polaris parts, etc they are available for about 1/2 the price elsewhere. Just FYI-----

Let us know how it goes!!

Janet
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread