+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Types of bleach

Default Types of bleach

I finally got my pool partially drained and things are back to normal chemically speaking but I have a question about bleach. As of lately when I go to my local big bog home improvement store to purchase bleach they have "outdoor" and also "germicidial" bleach as well. The germicidial bleach actually lists ingredients on the label whereas the outdoor bleach does not. Does anyone knwo th edifferences between the 2 adn is the germicidial bleach ok which by the way is 6.15%

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default Re: Types of bleach

Do not use "outdoor" or "splashless" bleach since it contains additives (thickeners) that will cause problems in the pool such as foaming. The germicidal bleach is probably OK if it contains only sodium hypochlorite, water, salt, and a small amount of sodium hydroxide. The best is Clorox Regular bleach that is 6% sodium hypochlorite and also says "5.7% Available Chlorine" on the bottle since this bleach has the lowest amount of "excess lye" with a pH of around 11.9.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread