+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I am new at pool ownership and i need help!

Unhappy I am new at pool ownership and i need help!

We have been debating how to level our ground for our new 15' x 48" Intex above ground metal frame swimming pool. We have heard many do's and don'ts and everyone's opinion is different on the matter! My yard is not unlevel by much it is pretty flat however there are the occasional small holes and dips. Some say lay sand, some say don't b/c sand shifts; some say mix sand and clay, some say don't; some say that it doesn't have to be 100% level, some say that if it isn't then it will fall over!! I am so stressed out about trying to put this pool up correctly. I never thought that this would be a stressful experience, I just want a pool and someone to tell me how to level the ground the correct way! =( PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: I am new at pool ownership and i need help!

When everyone has a different opinion on a topic, you can be ABSOLUTELY sure of one thing: they do not KNOW what the answer is.

If you can move to a different, more knowledgeable, set of "everyones", you can see if there is a consensus.

I can tell you a few things for sure:
    + sharp rocks and sticks can poke a hole in the pool, and WILL hurt someone's foot.
    + Intex framed pools can live with some out of level, but will do better, level. 1" from side to side is no problem; it would be hard to set up a pool with 1' of slope side to side.
    + pits and holes don't guarantee a liner puncture, but they make it more likely.
    + sand isn't permanent, but will probably last a season.

If you get the area level within 2", rake it clean of sticks and rocks, fill holes and depressions with sand --- you should be fine for the season. But if you don't do those things, the pool may still work OK.

Ben

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

Default Re: I am new at pool ownership and i need help!

previous user of Intex pools (the 18 foot one...)
    ground doesn't have to be level- just the location that you put the metal feet! nothing sharp underneath, but small hollows in ground are ok...
    if your land is flat to start with, sand will not have anywhere to wash away to (it flows down hill!)
    If not flat, I found lime to be a good base, with landscape rock holding it in place

I had about 5 foot drop across 20 foot of space, used 20ton lime (1 dump truck, cost $100 roughly) with a pallet of landscape rock from lowes/home depot to build retaining wall- pool was in place for 4 years without problems!

+ Reply to Thread