+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can leaves covering bottom valves cause hydrostatic valve to open slightly?

Default Can leaves covering bottom valves cause hydrostatic valve to open slightly?

Okay this seems weird but 2 years ago upon opening my pool (1st time with new in ground) the water started draining out. The pool company came out and said it was the hydrostatic valve. Once it was almost drained they checked it and it was fine. And the pool wasn't leaking anymore.

Come to today and I got the cover off and a bunch of leaves got into the pool and I didn't realize it. The pool is dark green due to some cover falling in over winter. Okay so I cleaned it as best I could and then shocked and put the pump on with only the bottom drains open while I added water to get it over the skimmer. Got home tonight after being out a few hours and had lost a few inches of water. I realized just now that I am yet again losing water out the hydrostatic valve. I don't know what to do but I found leaves covering the bottom drains.

I shut the pump and cleaned the leaves out. I am wondering if somehow the leaves create a condition where the pool water isn't putting pressure on the valve and the pump is helping water get sucked out of it. I'm grasping at straws here. Hoping not to wake up to empty pool.

Default Re: Can leaves covering bottom valves cause hydrostatic valve to open slightly?

Update is that I am still losing water. It is not that fast but certainly a lot. Pool will be empty within a day or so. I can only believe it is the hydrostatic valve. It started draining after I started the pump, when the skimmer sucked air a few times.

I think my only hope is that I can get to it when the water is low enough. It is way too cold to dive into and fix now. I am open to suggestions.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Can leaves covering bottom valves cause hydrostatic valve to open slightly?

Welcome to the forum!

The leaves shouldn't have anything to do with the hydrostat.

What's happening is that with spring thaws and rains the hydrostat pops open to keep the pool from floating and doesn't fully reseal when the ground water goes down, causing the pool to empty.

How far do you lower the water to winterize the pool? You might be able to prevent this issue by leaving the pool more filled at closing.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thanks for the reply. I made an attempt at getting it to seat by blowing air up through the main drain with my compressor. It didn't work. I was hoping the turbulence would dislodge any debris or get it to seat better. It is draining very very slowly now. I don't think I will be able to do anything until it is low enough to get to. I am just hoping it's still high enough that the liner doesn't float up. It is too cold to jump in or I would be under there trying to fix it.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by frayedend View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I made an attempt at getting it to seat by blowing air up through the main drain with my compressor. It didn't work. I was hoping the turbulence would dislodge any debris or get it to seat better. It is draining very very slowly now. I don't think I will be able to do anything until it is low enough to get to. I am just hoping it's still high enough that the liner doesn't float up. It is too cold to jump in or I would be under there trying to fix it.
    A couple points of clarification :

1)The MD plumbing is attached to the side of the unit and the hydrostat is in the bottom. Therefore, blowing air through the piping is VERY unlikely to correct a hydrostat problem.

2)As long as the stat is opening, it's Very unlikely that the liner will float, if more water gets under the pool, the hydrostat will let it in the pool until the pool level equalizes with the ground water. This may delay your entering the pool to fix the hydrostat, but the liner ought not float. (I suppose a flash flood could overcome the valve's ability to equalize the pool/ ground water).

When you do get down to the drain, remove the cover and you'll see the hydrostat sticking up from the bottom of the drain pot. Pull the top plate of the stat all the way up, and let the spring pull it back down, a couple of times - this should clear debris from the o-ring and sealing surface.

Before you start refilling the pool, dye test the hydrostat (and, if it passes), re-secure the MD grate.

You seem to misunderstand hydrostats, what they do and how they work - if you fire up a new thread on that subject, I'm sure a few folks will answer (I'm a little pressed for time on tax day)
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

I think I understand the hydrostat pretty well. I was really grasping at straws with blowing air through the line. The hydrostatic valve is under the same cover as one of the main drains so I just hoped the bubbling might dislodge something. No such luck. I also just couldn't bring myself to believe that debris was causing my issue since it only started leaking when I started the pool pump.

Alas I was able to correct the problem. I had to go in the pool at 48 degrees. I didn't think I'd make it. It was cold! It took my breath away for a minute and then I got as used to it as you can get I suppose. 4 or 5 dives down and I got the cover off. Found one tiny little leaf, like a blade of grass thin. Took it out and flipped the valve a few times.

Then I waited a day and checked the level, no water loss. I am now full and clear. THanks for all the tips guys. Sorry I didn't update sooner.

Thanks for the update!

I hope you know that I meant no offense- it's just hard to judge someone's knowledge level from a few sentences posted on-line.

If the leaves on the grate had any impact on your issue, they made a mat - which stopped the water from getting to the leak... until the pump turned on and dislodged them.

I'm glad your issue has been solved, and sorry to hear you had to brave 48* water to do so!

I hope this is your only problem this year (or ever) but, if you find yourself needing our help - you know where to find us!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Just wanted to add my experience last year to this thread. Yes, leaves and other "stuff" in the pool can definitely cause the hydrostatic valve to not close properly. I had the pool company open my pool last year. They did it on a Friday on a weekend when the family and I were out of town. We came back Sunday late afternoon and the pool was almost empty. Same problem, leaves got into the valve and it wouldn't close properly. I lost 12,000 gallons of water (22,000 gallon pool). Also my first year of owning an in-ground pool and had no idea this could happen. I have a gunite pool, so one of my option is to permanently close the valve. Since there is always water in the pool there shouldn't be a problem with the pool ever popping up out of the ground.

I haven't opened the pool this year yet, but I will monitor the water level very carefully once the pumps go on!!

+ Reply to Thread