I've got an 18x36 oval vinyl liner inground pool that needs a new deck. The current concrete one is old, cracked, and was very poorly patched by the previous owners. It also has the old white plastic/PVC/whatever coping, which is cracked pretty much all the way around. We replaced the liner when we moved in almost 2 years ago, because the old one was badly torn, leaving the pool nonfunctional, and the bank wouldn't give us the loan with the pool in that state.

We've been dealing with it as it is because it's still functional and we just didn't have the money to tear up and replace the whole thing. Recently, however, I've been matched up with a landscaping company that's interested in doing a little trading of services with me (I've got some very marketable skills, just not in this area). I asked about the pool deck, and the owner seemed a little hesitant - he said they had installed several flagstone patios, but never anything around a pool.

What exactly would be involved in the replacement of this deck? Obviously we'd need to tear up the old deck and put stone down in its place, but what about coping? I know there's a track that the liner snaps into - would that stay in place, or would it have to come out with the concrete deck? If it comes out, what would we need to do to replace it? Or is working around a pool so different than a patio that I need to just forget it, at least with a company with no pool experience? I'm sure the contractor is doing a lot of this type of research right now, too, but I like to be educated enough about what I'm doing to make the right decisons.

Also, on a side note, would standard in-ground pool ladders work in mortared flagstone (maybe with some anchoring cement?), or would it be too weak? I don't want them coming out if 2-3 kids decide to be stupid and all try to climb out at once.

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks in advance for your answers. I know this may not be as simple as just calling the local pool company and paying them $8-10k to do it, but if I can save that kind of money (which I don't have anyway), it's worth it.