+ Reply to Thread

Thread: madwil- BBB and SWG pools

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

Default madwil- BBB and SWG pools

Hello, I found your website in the middle of the season last year, and used advice to battle what I think was mustard algae- took about 2 weeks, and bought out Walmart of bleach, but finally got rid of the problem.
    Will be opening pool soon for this summer, and wanted to check out latest info as well as find the correct test kits- not interested in subscribing right now, but interested in supporting with economical purchases...

Anyway, am considering a saltwater system and was wondering if BBB system still works (I assume Borax and Baking soda and Muriatic acid would not impact SWG, but checking to make sure)
    Also, if I get a low end SWG, and slightly undersize, is it OK to supplement the chlorine generator with bleach?

I have a 26 foot diameter, 4 deep above ground pool- I believe about 26000 gallons- the SWG I'm considering is rated for 20k...

Also, can SWG's be used in tandem? meaning, will 2 operate together, or fight each other?

Any help is appreciated!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: madwil- BBB and SWG pools

I can't answer all your questions as I am definitely not the expert on SWG but I can answer a few.

Yes, you can still use BBB with SWG. You can supplement with bleach. Many people do especially when they have reason to shock the pool as it extends the life of their cell. As far as sizing a SWG for a pool and whether or not SWC can be used in tandem, I don't know. I'll have to let somebody else answer that part.

Regarding test kits, we like the Taylor K-2006 which can be ordered through the following link and the Pool Forum will make a little money in the process. I believe there is a separate kit for saltwater pool users than you have to buy separately.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=10006

Glad to have you as a part of our forum. Hope you find it helpful.

Thanks for the reply- the link comes back with "madwil, you do not have permission to access this page".
    I guess it only works after I'm a member or something?

If you go with a lower rated cell it means you will have to have the cell/pump running more in order to generate the same ammount of chlorine than you would with a larger cell. That will translate into higher electricity costs. I'm in west central FL, have a cell rated for 40k in a 12k gallon pool and I run my pump generally 4h/day and have the cell set to 20% right now to maintain my ideal fc levels.

Don't forget you'll need to maintain a higher CYA level with the swcg than you would without so that you don't lose quite so much chlorine during the day.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Here's the direct link from the page that Watermom was trying to direct you to...http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002IXIIG?...NB76D96DJNGM5&

Janet

Thanks for the info- will try the link soon!

ordered the test kit, and salt water test kit, last night- Thanks!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread